Word Problem with Some Algebra

Mutations

I have been given a sample problem and solution but seem to be stuck on a few points.

The sample problem and the given solution are as follows:

Given Variables:
A = Rent Percentage
B = Maximum Rent Percentage
C = Fee Hurdle
D = Rent Hurdle
T = Tenant Income
O = Operator Income

Given Values for Variables:
A and B = 20%
C = $75.68 million
D = $86.35
T and O = $100 million

Asked to solve this equation: Additional Rent = A (T - B(O - C) - D) / (1-AB)

The solution is given by plugging in the variables is as follows:
20% (100,000,000 - 20%(100,000,000 - 75,680,000) - 86,350,000) / 1 - (20% x 20%)

The solution results in Additional Rent: $1,830,000

^I can solve the above equation and get the correct result.

However, the variable "D" is defined in the problem set as follows:
"The Rent Hurdle ("D") is equal to 20% of the amount by which the Net Income of the project exceeds 11.0% of the Actual Capital Investment."

As seen above, the Rent Hurdle (variable D) is given as $86,350,000. Can I solve for the Actual Capital Investment by doing the following:
$86,350,000 = 11% (X) and then divide by 11% to get $785,000,000 (Actual Capital Investment) ? Is this correct? I recognize this is not a problem or number needed/used in the sample problem listed above. But just trying to understand if my logic is correct.

Finally, while "O" (Operator Income) is a given of $100 million (see above) there is a clarification in the problem set up that says: "Operator Income is revenue less expenses. Further, it states that the Fee Hurdle ("C") is an expense item in Operator Income ("O") and that the Fee Hurdle shall not exceed 20% of the portion of Operator Income that exceeds $75,660,000."

Is this why this term is shown in the denominator of the original equation: 1 - (20% x 20%) ???

Hi! To solve for the Actual Capital Investment I recommend that you start by writing...

Let V = Actual Capital Investment
Let N = Net Income of the project
feel free to use different variable names for these amounts (especially if there are standard names for these in the question/ on your course)

Then maybe you can write the following statement as an equation...
"The Rent Hurdle ("D") is equal to 20% of the amount by which the Net Income of the project exceeds 11.0% of the Actual Capital Investment."
...note that there will also be a condition due to the word "exceeds". In other words the equation is only valid when one amount exceeds another amount. So you'll write D=something where something > something

After doing this you can more easily rearrange to make V the subject. Please post back with your work.

BTW: Do you know what "N" is, since without that you can't obtain a numeric value for V?