Word problem

christy2love

Michelle needs 5/8 cups of flour to make a batch of modeling clay. How many batches can she make if she has 6 cups of flour?

When you can't solve a problem, think of a simpler problem. In this case, let's try it without fractions.

If I need 2 pounds of sand to make 8 pounds of concrete, and I have six pounds of sand, how many pounds of concrete can I make. This is a problem involving ratios. Can you solve this problem?

(Don't make concrete from this recipe: I made it up.)

For this problem you do 6/1 * 5/8, which = 48/5.
(I'm assuming you know how to multiply fractions. If not, go here :
)
Then, you simplify the fraction. What is 48/5? 45/5 = 9. There are 3/5 left, so the answer to the question is 9 and 3/5.
I hope that was clear (haha). I'm still trying to get used to this, but I want to be a teacher, and this is helping me.
Cheers!
Hope

Hope actually meant to write 6/(5/8) and not 6*(5/8). Note that 6/(5/8) =6*8/5 =48/5 = 96/10 = 9.6

For this problem you do 6/1 * 5/8, which = 48/5.
I want to be a teacher, and this is helping me.
Cheers!
Hope
Great.

I suggest you lurk a while and see how the other helpers go about it. We seldom give answers. Usually we ask questions, suggest ideas, or give hints. It gives students confidence if they get the answer with as little help as possible. And a huge problem for many students is that they have no confidence.

Math is learned by doing.

Yeah that's what I meant. Thank you for pointing that out. I really thought that was what I wrote...Well, it happens to the best of us!

And yes, I agree with you. I never used to give others answers in math. It drove others mad, but I always thought it was better for them to learn on their own. I really don't know what happened this time. I guess quarantine is making me irritable.