word problems are hard for me please help!!

teresebaby

this is the problem

A new long-life tire has a tread depth of 7/16 inches,instead of the more typical 13/32 inches. How much deeper is the new tire?

next problem

the pie chart gives the fractional parts for the staff of the Lenva Lock company.What fractional part of a random sample of 200 employees of the company was managerial positions? the other positions were 9/50 clerical 7/25 manufacturing 8/25 sales and 7/50 technical the pie piece looks to be about 1/8 of the chart.

teresebaby said:
A new long-life tire has a tread depth of 7/16 inches,instead of the more typical 13/32 inches. How much deeper is the new tire?
7/16 - 13/32 = ?
WHY are you calling this a "word" problem?

teresebaby said:

This asks how much larger the number 7/16 is compared to 13/32. In other words, what is their difference ?

7/16 - 13/32 = ?

the other positions were 9/50 clerical 7/25 manufacturing 8/25 sales and 7/50 technical

the pie piece looks to be about 1/8 of the chart.

That piece is the difference between all the others added together and 1. (The whole pie equals 1.)

In other words, what does that piece need to be, so that all of the fractions add up to 1 ?

9/50 + 7/25 + 8/25 + 7/50 + ? = 1

teresebaby said:
so my answer of 1/32 is correct for the [first exercise] ?

Yes. You can report this answer using a complete sentence:

The tread depth is 1/32 inches deeper on a long-life tire than on a typical tire.

teresebaby said:
show me how to get the pie chart question please

If I properly understand the second exercise, the pie chart consists of five slices, and the following fractional values of the whole are somehow assigned to four of them.

9/50, 7/25, 8/25, 7/50

If this interpretation is correct, then add up the four known fractional values and subtract their sum from the whole, which is 1.

1 - (9/50 + 7/25 + 8/25 + 7/50) = the fractional value represented by the remaining (fifth) slice