Word Problems: Perimeter (length of side of triangle)

witchykitty

I appreciate anyone's help since I'm a word problem deficient. I find that textbooks are entirely insufficient in teaching how to do all but the most basic word problems. I don't care how many times I re-read and draw pictures, I still don't know what the formulas are.

The perimiter of an equilateral triangle is 7 inches more than the perimeter of a square, and the side of the triangle is 5 inches longer than the side of the square. Find the side of the triangle. (hint: An equalaterial triangle has 3 sides the same length).

Let t=length of triangle side

s=length of square side

Perimeter: 3t=4s+7

Side: t=s+5

Solve for t and s.

Re: Word Problems: Permeter

I appreciate anyone's help since I'm a word problem deficient. I find that textbooks are entirely insufficient in teaching how to do all but the most basic word problems. I don't care how many times I re-read and draw pictures, I still don't know what the formulas are.

The permiter of an equilateral triangle is 7 inches more than the permeter of a square, and the side of the triangle is 5 inches longer than the side of the square. Find the side of the triangle. (hint: An equalaterial triangle has 3 sides the same lengh)
Str= Ssq + 5

3Str+= 4Ssq + 5

Can you take it from here?

Thanks, I know that the solution is 13, but I'm still not sure to get to that. I understand what you've both written so far.

THANKS!!!

witchykitty said:
Thanks, I know that the solution is 13, but I'm still not sure to get to that. I understand what you've both written so far.
Solution is not 13 :shock: