word problems

mmarti25

Here are two word problems that I got stuck on. Please help me!

The denominator of a certain fraction in lowest terms exceeds the numerator by 3. If both numerator and denominator are increased by 1, the value of the fraction increases by 1/10. Find the fraction.

and

From here to the bus stop is 200 meters if I follow the sidewalk to the corner, turn a right angle, and continue along the sidewalk. But if I cut straight across the grass, the distance is 170 m. How far is it from here to the corner?

1) Pick a variable for the numerator. Write an expression, in terms of this variable, for the numerator which is a number three units bigger. Form the fraction.

Now add "1" to the denominator and numerator. You have the following relation:

. . . . .(new fraction) is (old fraction) plus (one-tenth)

Translate into an equation, and solve.

2) Note that right triangles conform to the Pythagorean Theorem. Pick a variable for the length of one of the legs. If the length of both legs is 200, what is the length of the other legs? Use this information, along with the length given for the hypotenuse, in the Pythagorean Theorem. Solve for the value of the variable.

If you get stuck, please reply showing how far you have gotten. Thank you.

Eliz.

P.S. Please post any further algebra questions to one of the "algebra" categories. Thank you.