word question: "After Mike picked 6 figs, he wanted to share them w/..."

christopheran

Hi,

Ok, I'm trying to help my daughter with her math... we have this poorly written question (imo), and I can figure out the answer, but not the math problem... not the calculation I guess you'd say.

Here it is:

"After Mike picked 6 figs, he wanted to share them with his fellow classmates. If Mike wants to give 3/4 of a fig to each of his classmates, then how many classmates will get some fig."

You would assume that a classmate would be a whole number, but apparently not. I can do this in my head by figuring that if 6 get 3/4 each, that leaves 6/4 remaining, so add 6 + 1 1/2 for the answer. 7 and a half. I do feel bad for the half a classmate.

Is there a better way than that to tackle this question though, or is subtracting the fraction from the whole and then multiplying the answer to that, then adding the number together, the best way to go about it?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi,

Ok, I'm trying to help my daughter with her math... we have this poorly written question (imo), and I can figure out the answer, but not the math problem... not the calculation I guess you'd say.

Here it is:

"After Mike picked 6 figs, he wanted to share them with his fellow classmates. If Mike wants to give 3/4 of a fig to each of his classmates, then how many classmates will get some fig."

You would assume that a classmate would be a whole number, but apparently not. I can do this in my head by figuring that if 6 get 3/4 each, that leaves 6/4 remaining, so add 6 + 1 1/2 for the answer. 7 and a half. I do feel bad for the half a classmate.

Is there a better way than that to tackle this question though, or is subtracting the fraction from the whole and then multiplying the answer to that, then adding the number together, the best way to go about it?

Thanks,

Chris

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{6~figs}{\frac 3 4 \frac{figs}{classmate}} = 6 \cdot \dfrac 4 3 ~classmate = \dfrac{24}{3}~classmate = 8~classmate\)

Hi,

Here it is:

Thanks,

Chris
The 1 1/2 is not a number of students, rather it is how many figs are left over. 1 1/2 = 3/4 + 3/4 so two more students get their share of figs. Now 6+2=8.

Just repeatedly subtract 3/4 from 6 until you have less than 3/4 left and you'll see that you can do this 8 times. OR divide!

Last edited:
Ha!

Ok, that makes more sense :)

Thank you both very much. Me... teaching math, oh boy! But I knew when I needed help :p

Chris

Cut 1/4 off each fig : 6 students get the 3/4 pieces

Left is [1/4 1/4 1/4] and [1/4 1/4 1/4] : 2 more students