Would appreciate different views on "(horse) + (horse) + (horse) = 30..." (Facebook)

scottymoir

Would appreciate different views on "(horse) + (horse) + (horse) = 30..." (Facebook)

I seen this posted on a Facebook page, so I placed it on my high school Facebook page,......most people up with one answer although there were alot of different answers,.....after looking at it I came up with one answer that others do not agree,.......they are incorrect. Please help me, thank you............................https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1595786820438284&set=gm.735101063332764&type=3&theater

What I did........

I seen this posted on a Facebook page, so I placed it on my high school Facebook page,......most people up with one answer although there were alot of different answers,.....after looking at it I came up with one answer that others do not agree,.......they are incorrect. Please help me, thank you............................https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1595786820438284&set=gm.735101063332764&type=3&theater
..................................The first equation is simple adding. The second equation is actually a trick leading to the third I believe, as two symbols next to each other in a math equation are inferred to be multiplied, so the two horseshoes is actually 2 X 2............not 2Horseshoes or 2 + 2. So there fore in the third equation the two boot symbols next to each other would be multiplied together,........not added, which then one boot would equal the square root of 2, not 1 + 1. Can anyone see my logic?

Based on the description, I think it's one of those stupid math "puzzles" that have been making the rounds on Facebook lately. There's absolutely no one right answer because the rules are never defined. Depending on the assumption(s) you make, you'll get one of many possible answers. If I'm correct, it's this puzzle in particular:

Code:
(horse) + (horse) + (horse) = 30
(horse) + (two horseshoes) + (two horseshoes) = 18
(two horseshoes) - (two boots) = 2
(boot) + (horse) + (horseshoe) = ?

One potential solution is to do what Harry the cat indicated, and think of the symbols with two of something as being multiplied together. If we let h = (horse), s = (one horseshoe), and b = (one boot), then we have:

Code:
h + h + h = 30
h + s^2 + s^2 = 18
s^2 - b^2 = 2
b + h + s = ?

Another way to think about it is to say that two of a symbol represents adding that value twice, or:

Code:
h + h + h = 30
h + 2s + 2s = 18
2s - 2b = 2
b + h + s = ?

Yet another way is to say that the problem is literally unsolvable, because (one boot) is a different variable from (two boots), just as (one horseshoe) is a different variable from (two horseshoes), and these variables are never defined.

The real question is: Which method did you use? Did you come up with one not discussed here? What answer did you get? What answer(s) did your friends get? Why do they think your answer is wrong? Why do you think their answers are wrong?

Two symbols next to each other in a math equation infers multiplication,.

Based on the description, I think it's one of those stupid math "puzzles" that have been making the rounds on Facebook lately. There's absolutely no one right answer because the rules are never defined. Depending on the assumption(s) you make, you'll get one of many possible answers. If I'm correct, it's this puzzle in particular:

Code:
(horse) + (horse) + (horse) = 30
(horse) + (two horseshoes) + (two horseshoes) = 18
(two horseshoes) - (two boots) = 2
(boot) + (horse) + (horseshoe) = ?

One potential solution is to do what Harry the cat indicated, and think of the symbols with two of something as being multiplied together. If we let h = (horse), s = (one horseshoe), and b = (one boot), then we have:

Code:
h + h + h = 30
h + s^2 + s^2 = 18
s^2 - b^2 = 2
b + h + s = ?

Another way to think about it is to say that two of a symbol represents adding that value twice, or:

Code:
h + h + h = 30
h + 2s + 2s = 18
2s - 2b = 2
b + h + s = ?

Yet another way is to say that the problem is literally unsolvable, because (one boot) is a different variable from (two boots), just as (one horseshoe) is a different variable from (two horseshoes), and these variables are never defined.

The real question is: Which method did you use? Did you come up with one not discussed here? What answer did you get? What answer(s) did your friends get? Why do they think your answer is wrong? Why do you think their answers are wrong?
...........................................................................so my answer was 21.4______( boot equals square root of 2)

or just a figment of yours........

......two symbols next to each other in a math equation is always inferred to multiply,......not divide, not subtract, and not add.

so my answer was 21.4______( boot equals square root of 2)

......two symbols next to each other in a math equation is always inferred to multiply,......not divide, not subtract, and not add.

That's certainly a valid approach. The nature of these problems (and this is why I really hate them and think they should never be assigned as a serious school exercise) is that they often have infinitely many solutions. The "right" answer is merely the one that the problem writer intended you to get, which can sometimes require you to think in very obtuse and non-intuitive ways. But, in the end, the problem is poorly constructed, such that every answer is equally valid. Your answer is correct, under your interpretation of the problem, but your friends' answer(s) are also correct, under their interpretation(s) of the problem.

I seen this posted ...
No, you saw this posted.

scottymoir said:
Two symbols next to each other in a math equation infers multiplication,.
There are at least two errors here. First, you are doing the inferring, and second, you are wrong with your blanket statement.

...........................................................................so my answer was 21.4______( boot equals square root of 2)

Your answer, based on your alleged method, is wrong in at least two ways.

h = 10
s = 2
b = \(\displaystyle \ \sqrt{2} \ \approx \ 1.4\)

So, b + h + s = \(\displaystyle \ 12 + \sqrt{2} \ \approx \ 13.4\)

But, seeing as your method comes out to an irrational number for the exact value of (b + h + s), it only makes sense to discard
the method you inferred. There is no justification in rounding, even if you had gotten that radical answer I got.

The set-up that was shown again by Denis in post #5 is the most common interpretation with picture symbols, and its solution
A) has all three values as positive integers, as well as B) the final answer as well does, too.

Last edited:
Okay,.......I do agree with you.

I agree it is poorly constructed, and of course with quick response I also arrived at the 21 answer, that is too easy and the maker of this equation had a class full of students that selected 21 and he told them they were incorrect. The horseshoes should not be placed on top of each other. I do not remember when I was taught the procedure of carefully looking at a math equation and properly separating configurations,.........as placing parenthesis around multiplication aspects. Too easy to understand the 21 answer and somewhat disappointed more people did not deduct that the maker of this equation clearly shows the first equation with the plus signs was what he intended to add together. Thank you.