Writing this expression in symbols, please help me :)

Helloitsme:)

Hello, I have a math test tomorrow and i don't have a lot of time to finish my study guide, but I'm stuck on this problem.
It says: Write this expression using symbols. " Angle IJK is one-third angle LMN"
How do I do this?

Last edited:
Hello, I have a math test tomorrow and i don't have a lot of time to finish my study guide, but I'm stuck on this problem. It says: Write this expression using symbols. " Angle IJK is one-third angle LMN" How do I do this?
\(\displaystyle 3m(\angle IJK)=m(\angle LMN)\)

Hello, I have a math test tomorrow and i don't have a lot of time to finish my study guide, but I'm stuck on this problem.
It says: Write this expression using symbols. " Angle IJK is one-third angle LMN"
How do I do this?

Or, of course, [MATH]m\angle IJK=\frac{1}{3}m\angle LMN[/MATH].

It's possible that you have been taught a different notation to use for angles; if these answers don't look like something you have seen, please show us a page from your textbook or notes that shows angles mentioned in equations. But since you said "math" and not "maths", I am guessing that you are American and this is the style you have been taught.

Here is one source for notation: https://mathbitsnotebook.com/Geometry/BasicTerms/BTnotation.html

Last edited:
Or, of course, [MATH]m\angle IJK=\frac{1}{3}m\angle LMN[/MATH]
Oh come on Peterson surely you recognize irony when you see it?
Whoever wrote the question has little or no knowledge of standard notation in current usage.
I agree that we need to see a reference to text material.

Back when I was taught geometry, the "m" was "understood" and we wrote:

∠IJK=1/3 * ∠LMN

Without the "m" for indicating measure.

Yes, that's one of the variations in notation I have in mind. Some people insist on carefully distinguishing "measure" from "angle" (number from object), while others recognize that context clearly distinguishes them. There are a couple other possibilities.

I note that the exercise author did not write, "The measurement of angle IJK is one-third the measurement of angle LMN".

LMN = x

IJK = x/3

?

Good point. That suggests that this author is one who is not picky about "m's".

If we ever hear back, we can compare our expectations with reality.

Your answer, of course, is not an expression; but then, that's another way the stated wording is a little loose: "write this expression using symbols".

How do I do this?
Same way as you would if the assignment was:

Write this expression using symbols. " Weight 'W1' is one-third weight 'W2' "

… [describing a statement of equality as an 'expression' is] another way the stated wording is a little loose …
Agree -- that's why I read it as, "Express the following statement using symbols". I could have written:

Given that angle LMN measures x units, then angle IJK is x/3.

Then I would tell the teacher that my answer is shown in red and, as requested, it's an expression.

;)