Writing Two-Step Equations

G

Jody jogged and cycled a total of 130 miles last week. The number of miles she jogged is 2 more than one-third the number of miles she cycled. How many miles did she jog? Cycle?

CA GIRL said:
Jody jogged and cycled a total of 130 miles last week. The number of miles she jogged is 2 more than one-third the number of miles she cycled. How many miles did she jog? Cycle?
This is just like the perimeter problem.

Name Stuff

J = Distance Jogged
C = Distance Cycled

I cannot stress sufficiently how important that step is. It WILL save you.

Translate the problem statement.

"jogged and cycled a total of 130 miles"

J + C = 130 miles

"The number of miles she jogged is 2 more than one-third the number of miles she cycled."

J = 2 miles + (C/2)

Now what?

Okay...so where does the one-third come in?

Why are you dividing c by 2?

I'm sorry, I just don't understand this!

Can you give me a little more information?

I'll leave that typo, just to make a point. Show a little fortitude, will you? :wink: The problem statement CLEARLY states "one-third". It should have been typed "C/3". Please don't be so lost that you believe even glaring errors. It is quite appropriate to write back and say, "Don't you mean "C/3" instead of "C/2". You cannot hurt my feelings. Trust me on this.

Note: Generally, "c" and "C" are not the same thing.

This poor CA GIRL obviously needs "teaching".

Whatever we "type at her" here will not help.

Question: CA GIRL, are you a student, or a person "back to school"?
Can you tell us honestly why you are having problems with this fairly
easy stuff: bad teacher? you missed classes? ????

Some people just come here to get hw done by others. It makes me so angry, but once the test comes they will learn the hard way that you're only cheating yourself by getting others to do your hw.