You have been hired to do a broadcast herbicide application on a 10.5‐mile stretch of right‐of-way.

Steven G

Elite Member
Here is the question: You have been hired to do a broadcast herbicide application on a 10.5‐mile stretch of right‐of-way. You will be using a boomless nozzle that sprays a 24-foot pattern. At 6 mph and a pressure of 50 psi you have calibrated the sprayer at 36.4 gallons per acre (GPA). Your truck is equipped with a 1,200-gallon tank. The herbicide label recommends 3 quarts of product per acre. How many gallons of herbicide will be needed, and how many total gallons of spray solution will be applied?

I am a bit troubled by some of the wording. Now how many gallons of herbicide will be needed I think means how many gallons of active ingredients I need to use. What troubles me is how many total gallons of spray solution will be applied. Isn't that going to be 1200 gallons???

The amount required is not constrained by the size of the tank. I may only be able to drive 500 miles on a tank of gas, but the size of the tank does not mean that my car must be scrapped after I have driven 500 miles.

Perhaps I do not understand the question.

I found a video that shows the solution (though I didn't bother watching it all yet to see if it makes sense). The answer turns out to be less than 1200 gallons; I suppose if it had been more, then you'd have to go fill up again. But you aren't required to use it all up.

I'm thinking that the herbicide is not added directly to the water tank, but rather to a separate tank. The device mixes a calibrated volume of herbicide in the water spray. That is, the water is a medium which disperses the herbicide over a specific-size swath, as the vehicle moves.

I also googled for information, and I saw a lot of calibration formulas. I think the exercise as posted already contains the necessary information, but it could have been expressed more clearly.

Edit: Grammar typo

Last edited:
The two places where I found this exact problem show that it is not a mere math problem, but is a sample certification test problem that tests knowledge of the application domain itself {"pesticide safety education"). So one is expected to know what it means. Here is the video.

I found a video that shows the solution (though I didn't bother watching it all yet to see if it makes sense). The answer turns out to be less than 1200 gallons; I suppose if it had been more, then you'd have to go fill up again. But you aren't required to use it all up.
I did find the video. Thanks!