Zero Divided By Zero

harpazo

Why do elementary school teachers (grades 3 to 5) teach kids that 0/0 = 0? This is exactly what is taught in most elementary schools in NYC. What do you say?

Please show documentation of this claim.

No documentation. In the classroom, teacher say ZERO DIVIDED BY ZERO is 0. Kids walk away thinking this is so cool. I just think elementary school teachers do not know enough math to know what 0/0 really means.

I can't tell you why something is done without seeing the evidence that it is done. Apparently you have some reason to believe this is taught; and you may well be right. I need to see the evidence you have, and in particular just what is said and by whom. As it is, your "why" question is just a cover for what is merely an accusation (like asking "Why do you beat your wife?").

You've made a broad claim implying that all teachers in your area teach this as a matter of course; how do I know it isn't just one teacher who said this once, and was taken out of context? If you have no evidence for us to evaluate, then this thread should not exist.

It happens that I had a conversation just this morning with a fellow tutor about the fact that elementary teachers don't know what they need to know. If she had made a specific claim, she would have gladly given me specifics.

I find this claim pretty hard to believe. If anything it was beaten into students that you can't ever divide by zero.

I can't tell you why something is done without seeing the evidence that it is done. Apparently you have some reason to believe this is taught; and you may well be right. I need to see the evidence you have, and in particular just what is said and by whom. As it is, your "why" question is just a cover for what is merely an accusation (like asking "Why do you beat your wife?").

You've made a broad claim implying that all teachers in your area teach this as a matter of course; how do I know it isn't just one teacher who said this once, and was taken out of context? If you have no evidence for us to evaluate, then this thread should not exist.

It happens that I had a conversation just this morning with a fellow tutor about the fact that elementary teachers don't know what they need to know. If she had made a specific claim, she would have gladly given me specifics.

I was a sub teacher for grades k through 5 in NYC for 8 years. I did not make this up or have reasons to start a thread by lying. Ok?

I find this claim pretty hard to believe. If anything it was beaten into students that you can't ever divide by zero.

Teachers in the lounge in various schools to avoid getting too technical with little kids simply say 0 DIVIDED BY 0 IS 0. This way, everybody is happy and teachers move on to the next topic.

Having observed your methods over the past 5 years I'd say you are making a huge generalization so as to try and stoke outrage.

I was explaining to a group of students once that you can't divide by 0. One student responded: "I bet Chuck Norris can!" Nope, not even Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Siri's example, as most of you probably know:

Imagine you had zero cookies, and you divided them up amongst 0 friends. See? It doesen't make sense.
Cookie Monster is sad that there are no cookies, and you are sad because you have no friends.