multiplying

Ryan$

Hi guys, I'm really confused and it would be much appreciated if you help me to how I can visualize it.

lets assume I have 3*4=12, why if I multiplying grater numbers from 3,4 I will get equal amount greater than 12 .. in other words if I multiply 4*4=16 so once I increase one of the operand which was 3 to 4 I got equal value 16 which is greater than 12 (3*4) .. so why once increasing the multiplicand operands(two operands) I get greater value?!

is the multiplying function that's increasing once we increase the input?! how can I visualize it?!

There's actually a link on this site that you might find to be helpful. It's here. Look down the left side of the page until you get to the section that says "Understand Multiplication." I looked over it.. It's a good tutorial.

-Dan

is the multiplying function that's increasing once we increase the input?! how can I visualize it?!

Easy - visualize a room with rows of chairs. 3 rows, 4 chairs in each row. How many chairs? 3*4 = 12. Let's add a row. How many chairs do we have now? 4*4 = 16.
As we add rows or increase the number of chairs in each row the total number of chairs increases.

It's easy to view multiplication of Natural numbers as repeated addition. If we increase the number of repeats (or we increase the actual number being added repeatedly), then the result must increase. That's common sense.

For example, look at 3×2, 4×2, 5×2, etc:

2 + 2 + 2 = 6
2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 8
2 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 10

?

Don't get too carried away with that visualization. It does not work very well for irrational numbers (√2 * π) or imaginary numbers (i * i).

if I have 3 liters of water, and I multiply 3 liters by 5, which means 3 *5 = 15 , am I have now 15 liters of water?! what's confusing me, I know I'm having number 15, but what its type/unit? because the number 5 doesn't have any unit, so how we are dealing with it over equations?!

if it was 3 liters of water * 5 of liters water, then yeah it would be 15 liters of water !

maybe I complex it more because I'm not that good at math, please anyone a senseable analogy to me which elaborate the concept behind multiplying something by a constant number?! which can understand from it the answer.

if it was 3 liters of water * 5 of liters water, then yeah it would be 15 liters of water !
Why 5 liters? 5 is unitless.

Liters multiplied by a number gives you liters. E.g. Ivan drank 3 liters of vodka yesterday. Today he drank 5 times as much. 3 liters * 5 = 15 liters.

Why 5 liters? 5 is unitless.

Liters multiplied by a number gives you liters. E.g. Ivan drank 3 liters of vodka yesterday. Today he drank 5 times as much. 3 liters * 5 = 15 liters.
but if 5 is unitless, so how we are multiplying with liters? I mean we must have a balanced units for doing math manipulation ..

but if 5 is unitless, so how we are multiplying with liters? I mean we must have a balanced units for doing math manipulation ..

Can you clarify what balance you are talking about?
The only balance we need is the same units on both sides of "=". E.g. "something, something miles" = 5 hours would be wrong.

if I have 3 liters of water, and I multiply 3 liters by 5, which means 3 *5 = 15 , am I have now 15 liters of water?! what's confusing me, I know I'm having number 15, but what its type/unit? because the number 5 doesn't have any unit, so how we are dealing with it over equations?!
if it was 3 liters of water * 5 of liters water, then yeah it would be 15 liters of water ! maybe I complex it more because I'm not that good at math, please anyone a senseable analogy to me which elaborate the concept behind multiplying something by a constant number?! which can understand from it the answer.
Ryan$, have you ever spent any time in real & hard study of the questions. Many of us have.
Here is a place for you to start: LOOK HERE

Looking down that page we have THIS
That is the actual construction of the counting numbers. That answers many of the concerns you have be posting in weeks past.
The axioms show us how we start with "nothing, an empty set, zero" what ever we call it; building from that is a logical and consistent way tho entire structure of the basic number system. Please, please take some time and work through this.

As JeffM says units are not normally used in Mathematics. If you see a unit you are very likely doing Physics or Engineering. Some of the questions you have asked in the past can be understood better as Physics rather than Mathematics.

-Dan

Reactions: pka
… senseable analogy to me which elaborate the concept behind multiplying something by a constant number …
Multiplication of whole objects is repeated addition.

5 × 3L means 3L + 3L + 3L + 3L + 3L

5 × 3L = 15L total

This is counting. We don't need a unit to count things.

?

Hi guys, if I have multiplying something of any type unit by a constant number, would we have the same type of the same something?

I mean, lets assume I have 5cm and if I multiply it by 5, do I get 25cm?! if so, then why it's allowed to multiply something unitless with units?! 5 * 5 [cm] is allowed?! don't make a sense for me, so please it would be much appreciated if you give me analogy that multiplying by constant wouldn't change the type of the amount ....

The unit isn't so much a number as it is a "classification" of sorts. So if you are multiplying a quantity (a number with a unit attached) by a number (unitless) then the unit does not change. So we have 5 (unitless) times 5 cm (a quantity)= (5 times 5) cm, or 25 cm.

-Dan

Suppose I have 5 sticks, each 5 centimeters long, and put them in a row. What is the total length? 5 times 5 cm. And what is that? 25 cm.

Obviously the result should have the same unit, because it is still a length. All we are doing it repeating the same length 5 times.

(We could also have described this situation as 5 sticks times 5 cm/stick. That is just a different way to think of the same thing.)

If it doesn't make sense to you, please be specific. What contradiction do you see arising from this?