multiplying

Ryan$

Hi guys, I'm really confused and it would be much appreciated if you help me to how I can visualize it.

lets assume I have 3*4=12, why if I multiplying grater numbers from 3,4 I will get equal amount greater than 12 .. in other words if I multiply 4*4=16 so once I increase one of the operand which was 3 to 4 I got equal value 16 which is greater than 12 (3*4) .. so why once increasing the multiplicand operands(two operands) I get greater value?!

is the multiplying function that's increasing once we increase the input?! how can I visualize it?!

topsquark

There's actually a link on this site that you might find to be helpful. It's here. Look down the left side of the page until you get to the section that says "Understand Multiplication." I looked over it.. It's a good tutorial.

-Dan

HallsofIvy

Elite Member
4(4)= 4(3+ 1)= 4(3)+ 4(1). Since 4(1) is positive the result is larger than 4(3).

lev888

is the multiplying function that's increasing once we increase the input?! how can I visualize it?!
Easy - visualize a room with rows of chairs. 3 rows, 4 chairs in each row. How many chairs? 3*4 = 12. Let's add a row. How many chairs do we have now? 4*4 = 16.
As we add rows or increase the number of chairs in each row the total number of chairs increases.

Otis

It's easy to view multiplication of Natural numbers as repeated addition. If we increase the number of repeats (or we increase the actual number being added repeatedly), then the result must increase. That's common sense.

For example, look at 3×2, 4×2, 5×2, etc:

2 + 2 + 2 = 6
2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 8
2 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 10

😎

Subhotosh Khan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't get too carried away with that visualization. It does not work very well for irrational numbers (√2 * π) or imaginary numbers (i * i).

Otis

Don't get too carried away with that visualization. It does not work very well for irrational numbers (√2 * π) ...
Indeed. I wouldn't want to push Ryan$ toward a mind warp. ;)
\(\;\)