Geometry: Nets

rachelmaddie

Determine the correct view for the model.

Which of the following is the right view of the model?
Note: The dark segments indicate breaks in the surface.

I don’t understand the difference between dark segments**

Question options:

Attachments

• 4BD24D2C-8AB5-4392-A4A6-4E126D2FE2C6.jpeg
    4BD24D2C-8AB5-4392-A4A6-4E126D2FE2C6.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 973DD8A4-3262-4796-8C94-666A6E4497EF.jpeg
    973DD8A4-3262-4796-8C94-666A6E4497EF.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 0
  • A385B2B5-CB9F-4731-B30E-25228A4360C7.jpeg
    A385B2B5-CB9F-4731-B30E-25228A4360C7.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 0
I'm not sure I understand either.

None of these are what I know of as nets. I guess what they mean by "right view" is "side view from the right" (as opposed to "correct", as in the first sentence!). I'm also not familiar with drawing such pictures and identifying "breaks in the surface"; but I suppose they mean that parts separated by heavy lines are not adjacent in the real object.

Have you copied the entire problem exactly as stated? If so, maybe you need to show us an example they've given of this sort of picture.

I'm not sure I understand either.

None of these are what I know of as nets. I guess what they mean by "right view" is "side view from the right" (as opposed to "correct", as in the first sentence!). I'm also not familiar with drawing such pictures and identifying "breaks in the surface"; but I suppose they mean that parts separated by heavy lines are not adjacent in the real object.

Have you copied the entire problem exactly as stated? If so, maybe you need to show us an example they've given of this sort of picture.
This is the entire question.

I searched for the terms in the problem, and found them used at least in some Glencoe textbooks. The one I saw, unfortunately, didn't really explain it at all, perhaps leaving it for the teacher to demonstrate. But I'll try, though it would be much easier for an in-person teacher holding up an actual block model for you to look at.

Imagine looking at the figure (stairs) from the right. What you'll see are just the vertical faces of the steps, right? it will look much like both of the pictures they show; the only difference is in the heavy lines. They are supposed to be only in the places where, in your view from the right, you are missing a sudden change marked by the top of a step -- that is, the part above is significantly farther from you than the part below. So the heavy lines mark the treads -- the top of each step. Can you picture that? Maybe imagine putting carpet on the top of each step, so that you see that carpet from the side as a thick line.

Can you see that the second picture is the one that fits?

I searched for the terms in the problem, and found them used at least in some Glencoe textbooks. The one I saw, unfortunately, didn't really explain it at all, perhaps leaving it for the teacher to demonstrate. But I'll try, though it would be much easier for an in-person teacher holding up an actual block model for you to look at.

Imagine looking at the figure (stairs) from the right. What you'll see are just the vertical faces of the steps, right? it will look much like both of the pictures they show; the only difference is in the heavy lines. They are supposed to be only in the places where, in your view from the right, you are missing a sudden change marked by the top of a step -- that is, the part above is significantly farther from you than the part below. So the heavy lines mark the treads -- the top of each step. Can you picture that? Maybe imagine putting carpet on the top of each step, so that you see that carpet from the side as a thick line.

Can you see that the second picture is the one that fits?
Yes, thank you! Well, this is actually an online course. Does this apply to all right view figures?

Also, how does this work for the front view?

Attachments

• 55A4852F-B3C1-418A-AA90-62F1B076189C.jpeg
    55A4852F-B3C1-418A-AA90-62F1B076189C.jpeg
    13.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 9F0A2ABA-4F37-428E-9140-61B99AFC8B8E.jpeg
    9F0A2ABA-4F37-428E-9140-61B99AFC8B8E.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 0
The same thinking applies to any view, but the details vary -- that is, the "breaks" may not be the tops of steps.

What do you think is the correct front view? That's the way you learn.

Does your online course include videos where someone explains these ideas? I think it really needs some visuals, and ideally hands-on interaction with real blocks.

I'm guessing that the thick lines represent two lines, like a corner in front and another in the back that is covered by the first line.

The same thinking applies to any view, but the details vary -- that is, the "breaks" may not be the tops of steps.

Does your online course include videos where someone explains these ideas? I think it really needs some visuals, and ideally hands-on interaction with real blocks.

I’m going to say the second picture but I’m not sure. I agree but there is only a textbook included in this online course.

Yes, the second picture is right, because in the front view, all the cube faces are on one plane, with no "breaks" where some are further back than others.

Yes, the second picture is right, because in the front view, all the cube faces are on one plane, with no "breaks" where some are further back than others.
Determine the correct view for the model.

Which of the following is the front view of the model?

Attachments

• 7455D6F8-1C1C-4463-9FA2-3FAFEA03AD8C.jpeg
    7455D6F8-1C1C-4463-9FA2-3FAFEA03AD8C.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 578D3A7C-26BA-40C7-AD76-CD7BFFD7FE06.jpeg
    578D3A7C-26BA-40C7-AD76-CD7BFFD7FE06.jpeg
    13.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2FC779FD-FFF8-4060-B569-5CD481EE6E50.jpeg
    2FC779FD-FFF8-4060-B569-5CD481EE6E50.jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 0
  • CDF25798-BF50-4353-A9C5-D8602364FF04.jpeg
    CDF25798-BF50-4353-A9C5-D8602364FF04.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 0
That's correct. Now, what is your reasoning, so we can make sure you're not just lucky (and can discuss how to decide)?

That's correct. Now, what is your reasoning, so we can make sure you're not just lucky (and can discuss how to decide)?
I don’t know how to really explain but in the front view, the two blocks are separated, it looks like there’s a break in the segment.

Okay, that thick line is right where you'd see the "step" above the bottom two blocks, which are closer to you than the four above them.

Are you more confident of you understanding of it yet?