Geometry: Nets

rachelmaddie

Determine the correct view for the model.

Which of the following is the right view of the model?
Note: The dark segments indicate breaks in the surface.

I don’t understand the difference between dark segments**

Question options:

Attachments

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
I'm not sure I understand either.

None of these are what I know of as nets. I guess what they mean by "right view" is "side view from the right" (as opposed to "correct", as in the first sentence!). I'm also not familiar with drawing such pictures and identifying "breaks in the surface"; but I suppose they mean that parts separated by heavy lines are not adjacent in the real object.

Have you copied the entire problem exactly as stated? If so, maybe you need to show us an example they've given of this sort of picture.

rachelmaddie

I'm not sure I understand either.

None of these are what I know of as nets. I guess what they mean by "right view" is "side view from the right" (as opposed to "correct", as in the first sentence!). I'm also not familiar with drawing such pictures and identifying "breaks in the surface"; but I suppose they mean that parts separated by heavy lines are not adjacent in the real object.

Have you copied the entire problem exactly as stated? If so, maybe you need to show us an example they've given of this sort of picture.
This is the entire question.

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
I searched for the terms in the problem, and found them used at least in some Glencoe textbooks. The one I saw, unfortunately, didn't really explain it at all, perhaps leaving it for the teacher to demonstrate. But I'll try, though it would be much easier for an in-person teacher holding up an actual block model for you to look at.

Imagine looking at the figure (stairs) from the right. What you'll see are just the vertical faces of the steps, right? it will look much like both of the pictures they show; the only difference is in the heavy lines. They are supposed to be only in the places where, in your view from the right, you are missing a sudden change marked by the top of a step -- that is, the part above is significantly farther from you than the part below. So the heavy lines mark the treads -- the top of each step. Can you picture that? Maybe imagine putting carpet on the top of each step, so that you see that carpet from the side as a thick line.

Can you see that the second picture is the one that fits?

rachelmaddie

I searched for the terms in the problem, and found them used at least in some Glencoe textbooks. The one I saw, unfortunately, didn't really explain it at all, perhaps leaving it for the teacher to demonstrate. But I'll try, though it would be much easier for an in-person teacher holding up an actual block model for you to look at.

Imagine looking at the figure (stairs) from the right. What you'll see are just the vertical faces of the steps, right? it will look much like both of the pictures they show; the only difference is in the heavy lines. They are supposed to be only in the places where, in your view from the right, you are missing a sudden change marked by the top of a step -- that is, the part above is significantly farther from you than the part below. So the heavy lines mark the treads -- the top of each step. Can you picture that? Maybe imagine putting carpet on the top of each step, so that you see that carpet from the side as a thick line.

Can you see that the second picture is the one that fits?
Yes, thank you! Well, this is actually an online course. Does this apply to all right view figures?

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
The same thinking applies to any view, but the details vary -- that is, the "breaks" may not be the tops of steps.

What do you think is the correct front view? That's the way you learn.

Does your online course include videos where someone explains these ideas? I think it really needs some visuals, and ideally hands-on interaction with real blocks.

LCKurtz

I'm guessing that the thick lines represent two lines, like a corner in front and another in the back that is covered by the first line.

rachelmaddie

The same thinking applies to any view, but the details vary -- that is, the "breaks" may not be the tops of steps.

Does your online course include videos where someone explains these ideas? I think it really needs some visuals, and ideally hands-on interaction with real blocks.

I’m going to say the second picture but I’m not sure. I agree but there is only a textbook included in this online course.

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
Yes, the second picture is right, because in the front view, all the cube faces are on one plane, with no "breaks" where some are further back than others.

rachelmaddie

Yes, the second picture is right, because in the front view, all the cube faces are on one plane, with no "breaks" where some are further back than others.
I find it very hard to tell from these visuals. Thank you!

rachelmaddie

Determine the correct view for the model.

Which of the following is the front view of the model?

rachelmaddie

Attachments

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
Give it a try. Which do you think might be correct, and why? That gives us more to talk about.

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
That's correct. Now, what is your reasoning, so we can make sure you're not just lucky (and can discuss how to decide)?

rachelmaddie

That's correct. Now, what is your reasoning, so we can make sure you're not just lucky (and can discuss how to decide)?
I don’t know how to really explain but in the front view, the two blocks are separated, it looks like there’s a break in the segment.

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
Okay, that thick line is right where you'd see the "step" above the bottom two blocks, which are closer to you than the four above them.

Are you more confident of you understanding of it yet?

rachelmaddie

Okay, that thick line is right where you'd see the "step" above the bottom two blocks, which are closer to you than the four above them.

Are you more confident of you understanding of it yet?
Yes, thank you!