Difficult trig proof

Scrutinize

Attached is the question with all the work I did and where I got stuck. Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• IDC Prep-2.pdf
    938.7 KB · Views: 19
Yea I realized that when I went back and saw it was an equation not a proof. Dumb mistake on my part

My updated work is completely wrong as well and it would only confuse you guys because it’s like 3 pages long. Basically I’m finding it hard to figure out the easiest way to approach it.

On my test I'd have to solve it algebraically and show a lot of work. And I can't find the right way to approach it by solving algebraically.
The point is: the graph shows that the equality is not true.
It cannot proven if it is not true.

You are trying to solve (not prove) [MATH]\cos(2x)=\cos^2\left(\frac{3x}{2}\right)[/MATH].

I would start with a substitution, u = x/2, and then expand using identities for cos(4u) and cos(3u). Then solve for cos(u).

You posted this same question before:

Look at post #2
Right! But this is a perfect example why there should be some way to correct a post that is carried through the entire thread.
In all fairness, you must admit that posts after #2 still assumed 'prove' and not 'solve'.

Yea sorry I miss typed the original post and corrected it in a second post but i guess most of you didn't see it, that's my bad. It didn't let me edit what I wrote so I just posted again saying that. Either way like @MarkFL said, I did post this question previously and I was helped with it. I forgot how to do it I guess and forgot i posted about it. (I've been doing tons of different types of math questions these past few weeks and I guess I got lost). My mistake sorry for that.