Difficult trig proof

Scrutinize

Attached is the question with all the work I did and where I got stuck. Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

Scrutinize

EDIT:

Its a solve for x not a proof, I read the question wrong. Oops

Jomo

Elite Member
3/2 is NOT 2 + 1/2

Scrutinize

Yea I realized that when I went back and saw it was an equation not a proof. Dumb mistake on my part

Jomo

Elite Member
So can we see your updated work.

Scrutinize

My updated work is completely wrong as well and it would only confuse you guys because it’s like 3 pages long. Basically I’m finding it hard to figure out the easiest way to approach it.

pka

Elite Member
My updated work is completely wrong as well and it would only confuse you guys because it’s like 3 pages long. Basically I’m finding it hard to figure out the easiest way to approach it.
Look at this graph. Are you sure about problem?

Scrutinize

pka

Elite Member
On my test I'd have to solve it algebraically and show a lot of work. And I can't find the right way to approach it by solving algebraically.
The point is: the graph shows that the equality is not true.
It cannot proven if it is not true.

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
You are trying to solve (not prove) \(\displaystyle \cos(2x)=\cos^2\left(\frac{3x}{2}\right)\).

I would start with a substitution, u = x/2, and then expand using identities for cos(4u) and cos(3u). Then solve for cos(u).

MarkFL

Super Moderator
Staff member
You posted this same question before:

pka

Elite Member

pka

Elite Member
Look at post #2
Right! But this is a perfect example why there should be some way to correct a post that is carried through the entire thread.
In all fairness, you must admit that posts after #2 still assumed 'prove' and not 'solve'.

Scrutinize

Yea sorry I miss typed the original post and corrected it in a second post but i guess most of you didn't see it, that's my bad. It didn't let me edit what I wrote so I just posted again saying that. Either way like @MarkFL said, I did post this question previously and I was helped with it. I forgot how to do it I guess and forgot i posted about it. (I've been doing tons of different types of math questions these past few weeks and I guess I got lost). My mistake sorry for that.