Creating a rational with given tangent slope

casherr

develop one rational function that demonstrates this slope (m = - 2) at a specific value x = a

I've tried so many different eqns but they all end up in tangent lines that pass through 2 points on the function very close to each other. Please help!

[MATH]f(x) = \frac{1}{x} \implies f’\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right) = -2[/MATH]

it has to be somewhat complex, like x+3/x+2 for example

your initial post says "one rational function" ... nothing about its complexity.

so, how about [MATH]f(x) = \dfrac{4}{x^2+1}[/MATH] ?

does that meet the "somewhat complex" criteria?

If so, determine the unique value [MATH] x=a [/MATH] where [MATH]f'(a) = -2[/MATH]

wait actually i calculated that wrong, the tangent line equation should be -2x+4, but when i do that, the tangent goes through (0,4) and (1,2) so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I solved for x and it gave me 1 and 0.29559 so used 1 to find the eqn.

it’s ok if the line tangent at x=1 intersects the curve again ... it’s not tangent at (0,4), it is tangent at (1,2)

will there ever be a point on the graph with the slope -2 that only intersects once?
Also, unrelated but if I were to find the instantaneous rate of change for one point on an income per person per year graph, what would my units be?
thank you for all your help so far by the way!

will there ever be a point on the graph with the slope -2 that only intersects once?
Also, unrelated but if I were to find the instantaneous rate of change for one point on an income per person per year graph, what would my units be?
thank you for all your help so far by the way!
You say:

will there ever be a point on the graph with the slope -2 that only intersects once?​

Are you referring to the graph - with slope -2 (i.e. the graph has a slope of -2 at some given point)?​

You say - only intersects once → what intersects with what?

You say:

will there ever be a point on the graph with the slope -2 that only intersects once?​

Are you referring to the graph - with slope -2 (i.e. the graph has a slope of -2 at some given point)?​

You say - only intersects once → what intersects with what?

tangent line that only intersects with the graph once at a specific point with the slope -2

"Are you referring to the graph - with slope -2 (i.e. the graph has a slope of -2 at some given point)?"
im referring to the graph we just discussed, y= 4/(x^2+1), and what point would have tangent -2 that's line only intersects with the graph once

not with the function I proposed ... not saying it isn't possible with some other function

(income per person) per year, or (income) per (person per year) ? there is a difference

I suspect you may mean the first ... if so, the derivative would be (income per person) per year2

is there any reason for the year being squared?
I really appreciate your help!

to make sure we get this correct, please verify what both axes of the graph represent with regard to units ...

x axis has what units?

y axis has what units?