at what local time can she call Kirby?

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, dear professors: I am attaching the problem. I cant begin to make any sense if this. Any hint will be appreciated.
Eddy

Attachments

• 20210605_165511.jpg
    20210605_165511.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
HI, dear tutors. I need help with this:
Kaitlyn wants to call her best friend, Kirby, after Kirby finishes her work at 5:00 PM, but Kaitlyn is on a work trip in another time zone. If Kaitlyn's 4 ½ hour flight took off at 7:45 AM and she landed at 10:15 AM local time, at what local time can she call Kirby?
I appreciate any hint.
eddy
When Kaitlyn landed at her destination:

What was the local-time at her starting location?​

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

If Kaitlyn's 4 ½ hour flight took off at 7:45 AM at what time did the plane land?

When Kaitlyn landed at her destination:

What was the local-time at her starting location?​

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem
She took off at 7:45 am and she landed at 10:15 local time.

If Kaitlyn's 4 ½ hour flight took off at 7:45 AM at what time did the plane land?
The problem also gives me the duration of her flight: 4 hours and 30 minutes, however, according to takeoff time and arrival time she was only 3 hours on the flight. This is what is confusing to me.

She took off at 7:45 am and she landed at 10:15 local time.
Assume that Kaitlyn was wearing a watch at the time of departure it displayed 7:45 AM.

What time would it display when she landed?

Assume that Kaitlyn was wearing a watch at the time of departure it displayed 7:45 AM.

What time would it display when she landed?
that is where it gets tricky. She left 7.45 ( her local time) and she arrived 10:15 ( local time of the destination)
What time was it when she landed?.
I'd say her watch would have shown 11:15 because that is the how long her flight is according to the info in the problem.
4 hours and a half.
the problem also states that her friend finishes work at 5 o'clock.

Last edited:
No it is not tricky. There is something called time zones. She left her city at 7:45 AND DID LAND 4 1/2 hours later. That is not a trick. She was on the plane for 4 1/2 hours. Now, the city she arrived in after her 4 1/2 hour flight had a time of 10:15. That is call 10:15 local time (local to where she is at the moment). Those that help?

that is where it gets tricky. She left 7.45 ( her local time) and she arrived 10:15 ( local time of the destination)
I'd say her watch would have shown 11:15 because that is the how long her flight is according to the info in the problem.
4 hours and a half.
4 hours after 7.45 is 11.45 so how can 4 1/2 hours after 7.45 be 10.15? That makes no sense at all.

4 hours and a half.
the problem also states that her friend finishes work at 5 o'clock.
How did you get 11:15 AM - Please show (mathematical) work!

How did you get 11:15 AM - Please show (mathematical) work!
yes, there is a mistake in calculating the time.
from 7.45 to 8.45 = 1h
8.45 to 9.45=2hrs
9.45 to 10.45= 3hrs
10.45 to 11.45=4hrs
plus 30 minutes for the half hour =12.15 her watch should have shown 12.15 pm.
her watch has not been adjusted to the local time. the problem does not say anything about that. so, at the time of her arrival it should display 12.15.
if the local time is 10.15 then her watch is 2 hours fast.

Last edited:
from 7.45 to 8.45 = 1h
8.45 to 9.45=2hrs
9.45 to 10.45= 3hrs
10.45 to 11.45=4hrs
her watch has not been adjusted to the local time. the problem does not say anything about that. so, at the time of her arrival it should display 12.15.
Correct. So now continue with the original problem.....

Correct. So now continue with the original problem.....
there is a two hour difference in the time zones so at 3.oclock here would be 5pm in her city where her friend is. she can call her at 3.pm local time, and 3 is among the options.

Last edited:
from 7.45 to 8.45 = 1h
8.45 to 9.45=2hrs
9.45 to 10.45= 3hrs
10.45 to 11.45=4hrs
Why should the problem say what time it is on her watch? You the student have to figure out some things on your own. What if she adjusted her watch just before she got off the plane so her watch matches the time in the city which she is in. The time on her watch is meaningless. The time in the city she started out in and the time in the city which she is now in is all that matters.

if it is 5 PM where Kirby is, what time would be displayed at Kaitlin's watch?
Subhotosh,
Kirby and Kaitlin are from the same city. Kaitlin went on a trip to a city in a different time zone from where Kaitlin and Kirby both reside. Kirby does not live in the city which Kaitlin is visiting

Subhotosh,
Kirby and Kaitlin are from the same city. Kaitlin went on a trip to a city in a different time zone from where Kaitlin and Kirby both reside. Kirby does not live in the city which Kaitlin is visiting
Right