Determinant containing entries of the form cos(a_1 - b_1): Prove that its value is zero.

Violette

1698080564816.png
prove this Det is equal to 0 ? I have thought of using cos(a-b)=cosacosb+sinasinb but ended up having no ideas how to sovle this problem.

Were you given any other relationship between 'a' & 'b' & 'n' or restriction on their ranges? Can n=1?

Have you given us the whole problem as it was presented to you to you?
Were you given any other relationship between 'a' & 'b' & 'n' or restriction on their ranges? Can n=1?

Have you given us the whole problem as it was presented to you to you?
The problem didn't give any relationship between 'a' & 'b' & 'n' or restriction on their ranges. We have n in there like n can be infinity. Yes I have given th whole problem exactly like it was presented to me it said " Chứng minh định thức D = 0" translate to English means " Prove the determinant equals to 0"

D is not 0, even for a 2 x 2 determinant. Why do you think it should be 0?

-Dan
That's why I am stuck here because I have no idea why it should be 0. Maybe somehow when we factor out all it will lost all?
(using row operations)

That's why I am stuck here because I have no idea why it should be 0. Maybe somehow when we factor out all it will lost all?
(using row operations)
Nope. For the 2 x 2 it gives
[imath]D = sin(a_1-b_1) \, sin(a_2-b_2)[/imath]

if I remember correctly.

-Dan

Nope. For the 2 x 2 it gives
[imath]D = sin(a_1-b_1) \, sin(a_2-b_2)[/imath]

if I remember correctly.

-Dan
Correction: For the 2 x 2
[imath]D = sin(a_1-a_2) \, sin(b_1-b_2)[/imath]

I didn't prove it, but for 3 x 3 and 4 x 4, D does equal 0, so the problem should have stated that n > 2.

-Dan

I didn't prove it, but for 3 x 3 and 4 x 4, D does equal 0, so the problem should have stated that n > 2.

-Dan
I did not notice your post until posting my reply to the OP. I cannot prove it either, but my symbolic script shows 0 for [imath]3\leq n \leq 5[/imath], and my numerical script shows zeros for [imath]3 \leq n < 100[/imath].

The problem didn't give any relationship between 'a' & 'b' & 'n' or restriction on their ranges. We have n in there like n can be infinity. Yes I have given th whole problem exactly like it was presented to me it said " Chứng minh định thức D = 0" translate to English means " Prove the determinant equals to 0"
No no, n can NOT be infinity. It can be as large as you like, but not infinity.

-Dan
Can you give me a brief instruction on how did you analyse D = 0 for 3x3 and 4x4 hmn n > 2

what you meant by saying numerical script and symbolic script?o_O
I did not notice your post until posting my reply to the OP. I cannot prove it either, but my symbolic script shows 0 for [imath]3\leq n \leq 5[/imath], and my numerical script shows zeros for [imath]3 \leq n < 100[/imath].

Hint: for [imath]n=3[/imath] it is not too difficult to construct a vector [imath]v_0[/imath] such that [imath]v_0 M = 0[/imath].
hmn somehow I haven't learnt vector multiply with a matrix but I'll try to do it now I may give you an answer 2moro if you don't mind :unsure: