driving distance

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, dear friends and teachers:
The driving distance between Tallahassee and Tampa is 280 miles. If 1/2 an inch on a map represents 40 miles, what is the distance in inches between the two cities?
d= 280 miles
1/2 =0.5 represents 40 miles
d in inches between the two cities?.
I am editing the proportion.
I thought of this anothr way
if 0.5 miles=40 miles
seven 40's=280
and each of these 40's represent =0.5
then 0.5 * 7 =3.5
d=3.5 between the cities.

Would it have been god to set up a proportion, like, quicker?. If affirmative, how to go about setting up the proportion?. Give me a hint. Thanks.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi, dear friends and teachers:
The driving distance between Tallahassee and Tampa is 280 miles. If 1/2 an inch on a map represents 40 miles, what is the distance in inches between the two cities?
d= 280 miles
1/2 =0.5 represents 40 miles
d in inches between the two cities?.
I am editing the proportion.
I thought of this anothr way
if 0.5 miles=40 miles
seven 40's=280
and each of these 40's represent =0.5
then 0.5 * 7 =3.5
d=3.5 between the cities.

Would it have been god to set up a proportion, like, quicker?. If affirmative, how to go about setting up the proportion?. Give me a hint. Thanks.
Thanks.
You used a proportion in the original post, so seems like you know how to do it.

I will take a look at the latex math later. I want / need to learn how to write with it. Thanks a lot for the link.
I tried another way, which i think gave me the right answer.
if .5 =40 miles
and there are 280 miles between the two cities
then 40* 7=280
so, 7* 0.5 =3.5
This took me a short time, but I would love to finish up the proportion.

0.5 / 40 mi = x in / 280 mi
I cross-multiply and divide by 40 =3.5

.5 in represents 40 miles. Multiplying both sides by 7 yields 3.5 inches represents 280 miles.

Your post is very similar to mine. You got the correct answer! So please move onto the next problem. Good job!

I will take a look at the latex math later. I want / need to learn how to write with it. Thanks a lot for the link.
I tried another way, which i think gave me the right answer.
if .5 =40 miles
and there are 280 miles between the two cities
then 40* 7=280
so, 7* 0.5 =3.5
This took me a short time, but I would love to finish up the proportion.
A simpler method is back quotes:

`0.5/(40mi) = (x mi)/(280mi)`
Reply to this post to see how I typed it.

Unless you want to know which of two fractions is larger or equal I think that you should NEVER cross multiply, especially if you are going to do it wrong.

You have 0.5 / 40 mi = x in / 280 mi. Just multiply both sides by 280 miles.

I know this is how it is taught in school by why on earth would you multiply both sides by 40 and then divide both sides by 40?? Why not just do nothing with the 40?

Put in the units and finish up.

[math]x= \dfrac{.5 in * 280 miles}{40 miles} = 3.5 in[/math]

Unless you want to know which of two fractions is larger or equal I think that you should NEVER cross multiply, especially if you are going to do it wrong.

You have 0.5 / 40 mi = x in / 280 mi. Just multiply both sides by 280 miles.
Got that and I liked it!.

like this?
``(280) 0.5 = ⟨280) Xin ``
40 mi 280 mi
You used 2 back quote symbols, 1 is enough (1 in the beginning and 1 at the end).
You need to format your expression correctly. Did you try reply to see what I actually typed?
This is what I typed inside back quotes: 0.5/(40mi) = (x mi)/(280mi)
It's important to use parentheses. Try again.

You used 2 back quote symbols, 1 is enough (1 in the beginning and 1 at the end).
You need to format your expression correctly. Did you try reply to see what I actually typed?
This is what I typed inside back quotes: 0.5/(40mi) = (x mi)/(280mi)
It's important to use parentheses. Try again.
Okay. Thanks.
`0.5/(40mi)= (x mi)/(280 mi)`