driving distance

Unless you want to know which of two fractions is larger or equal I think that you should NEVER cross multiply, especially if you are going to do it wrong.

You have 0.5 / 40 mi = x in / 280 mi. Just multiply both sides by 280 miles.
Like this, right?.
`280 (0.5/40mi)= 280 (x / 280mi)`

Have you solved for x?
It is the same thing but easier.
The 280's cancel out on the right hand side and then solve for x is easy. X is by itself.
I was only writing it out cos I like your proposal.

It is the same thing but easier.
The 280's cancel out on the right hand side and then solve for x is easy. X is by itself.
I was only writing it out cos I like your proposal.
Nope, sorry. [math]280(\dfrac{x}{280}miles) \neq x.[/math]
Maybe I am being a bit hard but that right hand side does not equal x. Tell me why? What do you need to do so the hrs is x

Nope, sorry. [math]280(\dfrac{x}{280}miles) \neq x.[/math]
Maybe I am being a bit hard but that right hand side does not equal x. Tell me why? What do you need to do so the hrs is x
I am in doubt.
If the 280's do not cancel out, what happens then?.
The other possibility that I see is:
280x/280

There was more than 280x/280
Good morning. I though you decided to multiply both sides by 280 as a very easy way to leave x by itself on the right side. I don't see any other thing there.

I am in doubt.
If the 280's do not cancel out, what happens then?.
The other possibility that I see is:
280x/280
There was a "syntactic" problem with your statement - NOT a "numerical" one.

You had a "miles" dangling in there. Jomo (and I) did not like that. Try to avoid that.

These oversites would make difference in class-room(grades). This can pull down a grade of A+ to A-.

Oh, yes. I retraced my steps to post #6 and #7
where Jomo had given me the clue and asked me to solve. It was pretty simple. I just failed to see it.
i solved it here but I tried the the way lev taught me to write with the back quote, but it did not work this time.

Last edited:
Now I got it . I see what you did here. But I want to how you would have done it the way I set it up

Like here. This is good. You said it was good.
I'm just having trouble understanding the thing about the dangling mile here.
`05 in = xmi `
40mi 280 mi

Are the miles canceled out the right way now?.