Elementary Algebra Application: How many oz of 50% antifreeze soln should be mixed w/

sean1

I keep getting stuck on this one. I will list include the equation that I wrote on the quiz even though I get the feeling it is far off.

How many ounces of 50% anti freeze solution should be mixed with 10 ounces of an 80% antifreeze solution to produce a 60% antifreeze solution?

.50x + .8(10) = .60(10+x)
:confused:

Any help would be great. Thank you
:)

I keep getting stuck on this one. I will list include the equation that I wrote on the quiz even though I get the feeling it is far off.

How many ounces of 50% anti freeze solution should be mixed with 10 ounces of an 80% antifreeze solution to produce a 60% antifreeze solution?

.50x + .8(10) = .60(10+x) :confused:

Any help would be great. Thank you :)

The equation you've set up looks correct to me. The real question is: What did you do with this equation you set up? For instance, you began by distributing the terms on the right-hand side of the equation... and then what? Please share with us any and all work you've done on this problem, even the parts you know for sure are wrong. Thank you.

The equation you've set up looks correct to me. The real question is: What did you do with this equation you set up? For instance, you began by distributing the terms on the right-hand side of the equation... and then what? Please share with us any and all work you've done on this problem, even the parts you know for sure are wrong. Thank you.

Thanks for the response. After trying different variations of ways to solve the problem I am pretty sure this is correct:

.5x+.8(10)=.6(10+x)
.5x+8=6+.6x
-.6x -.6x
-.1x+8=6
-8 -8
-.1x=-2
-.1 -.1
x=20

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. After trying different variations of ways to solve the problem I am pretty sure this is correct:

.5x+.8(10)=.6(10+x)
.5x+8=6+.6x
-.6x -.6x
-.1x+8=6
-8 -8
-.1x=-2
-.1 -.1
x=20

Yes, that's correct. Good job. In the future, if you're ever unsure of an answer, you can always check it yourself by plugging it back into the original equation. In this case, you'd have:

0.5x + 0.8(10) = 0.6(10 + x)
0.5(20) + 0.8(10) = 0.6(10 + 20)
10 + 8 = 0.6(30)
18 = 18

Both sides of the equation are equal, so your answer is correct.

Yes, that's correct. Good job. In the future, if you're ever unsure of an answer, you can always check it yourself by plugging it back into the original equation. In this case, you'd have:

0.5x + 0.8(10) = 0.6(10 + x)
0.5(20) + 0.8(10) = 0.6(10 + 20)
10 + 8 = 0.6(30)
18 = 18

Both sides of the equation are equal, so your answer is correct.

Thanks! I will work on making a habit of checking it like that:cool: