Finding and simplifying a formula

Probability

So I'm really struggling with the understanding of how to interpret the English questions being asked when trying to create a formula. This is a serious lack of experience on my part, but is there a way of interpreting the questions to create the math formulas in a straight forward type of way.

In this question I was asked;

A machine company charges £250 to print 400 labels of an agreed size. If further labels are then required another agreement is to charge an extra £0.25 per label.

I'm asked to find a formula for the cost C of printing the labels, assuming that (n) is at least 400. I've been working on this on and off most of the day, and I don't find this type of math easy to work out. I decided that C would be the total cost and (n) would be the cost of additional labels. I eventually came up with this formula;

[MATH]{C}={250}+{0.25}({n}-{400})[/MATH] I then was asked to simplify the formula;

[MATH]{C}={250}+{0.25n}-{100}=[/MATH]
[MATH]{C}={150}+{0.25n}[/MATH]
I was then asked to use the formula to find the cost of another 450 labels.

[MATH]{C}={150}+{0.25}\times{450}=[/MATH]
[MATH]{C}={150}+{112.50}=£287.50[/MATH]

I decided that C would be the total cost and (n) would be the cost of additional labels.
Based on your work it seems n is the total number of labels, not cost(?!) of additional labels.
Looks good to me until the last addition.

So I'm really struggling with the understanding of how to interpret the English questions being asked when trying to create a formula. This is a serious lack of experience on my part, but is there a way of interpreting the questions to create the math formulas in a straight forward type of way.

In this question I was asked;

A machine company charges £250 to print 400 labels of an agreed size. If further labels are then required another agreement is to charge an extra £0.25 per label.

I'm asked to find a formula for the cost C of printing the labels, assuming that (n) is at least 400. I've been working on this on and off most of the day, and I don't find this type of math easy to work out. I decided that C would be the total cost and (n) would be the cost of additional labels. I eventually came up with this formula;

[MATH]{C}={250}+{0.25}({n}-{400})[/MATH] I then was asked to simplify the formula;

[MATH]{C}={250}+{0.25n}-{100}=[/MATH]
[MATH]{C}={150}+{0.25n}[/MATH]
ASSUMING n is greater than 400 to begin with this is correct.

I was then asked to use the formula to find the cost of another 450 labels.

[MATH]{C}={150}+{0.25}\times{450}=[/MATH]
[MATH]{C}={150}+{112.50}=£287.50[/MATH]
I wonder exactly what "another 450 labels" means. You seem to have assumed it mean a total of 400+ 450 labels. I think I would have interpreted it as meaning only the cost of the 450 labels over the first 400 or more. That would be just 0.25(450)= £137.50.

I wonder exactly what "another 450 labels" means …
I think it means they placed a second order for labels. (The first order was for 400 labels.)

C = 0.25(n) + 150

So, I've assumed that C is the cost of each order placed. (The minimum quantity per order is 400 labels.)

It would be nice to see the given information. Maybe the word 'another' doesn't even appear.

?

Last edited:
ASSUMING n is greater than 400 to begin with this is correct.

I wonder exactly what "another 450 labels" means. You seem to have assumed it mean a total of 400+ 450 labels. I think I would have interpreted it as meaning only the cost of the 450 labels over the first 400 or more. That would be just 0.25(450)= £137.50.
Thank you for pointing that mistake out to me, yes you are correct, the word "another" came freely from me and was not written in the question. I was asked to use the formula to find the cost of printing 450 labels. Sorry about that, but the formula has been simplified above so we must remember that C = 150 + 112.50 = £262.50.

This is however incorrect; That would be just 0.25(450)= £137.50.

Looking back through my original post it appears I've pressed the wrong key on the keyboard when I wrote;

C =150+112.50=287.50. Clearly I should have wrote £262.50. Sorry about that my mistake.