Fitting a function that best fits data given

geryuu2

Hello,
My first thread and wasnt quite sure were to put it. So I was given a graph that plots data within the (x,y) axis. And asked to see if I could figure out a equation/model that resembles it. I can see that theres a asymptote at y =160,and that the graph rises as if 2^x(exponential) and asymptotes at 160. Apologies for horrible drawing. But cant quite figure out how to solve this problem. Or what direction I should take.Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20190713_245949752.jpg
    IMG_20190713_245949752.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
Can you show the actual data?

What you show looks like you might need a piecewise model. My first inclination would be to put the data into Excel and make trendlines for two separate groups of points.

Can you tell us the context of the question? Are you in a class studying regression, or in a science class studying some particular phenomenon (which might suggest a model), or what?

Hey, I'm not in a class. I'm an electrical/software engineer with a degree in math but not this kind lol , and a biology friend asked me if there's a better model that fits. Since imo there has to be, ill try the Excel and get back to you, gunna have to look up treadlines, I haven't used Excel in ages.

If you have any information on the meaning of the data, that may help us get ideas, since as I suggested, knowledge of the underlying phenomena can suggest models to try. And, again, seeing the actual data (or at least the scatterplot you make) may help, too.

Is there any other graphing software you are more familiar with than Excel? There may be alternatives.

I think the data has to deal with water flow and the vision of predatory fish(Vision(y axis), Flow(x axis)).Dont quote me on this. Im used too designing/programming electro-physiological devices.The PCB,and code to communicate to a microcontroller. But I dont think ive ever used a graphing software(maybe) but just forgot.Sorry if this doesnt help. But the maths are bothering me lol. Havent done maths in awhile and the maths I did werent classical maths like this but....were like finding out if a number is prime or not....that stuff. But I did study classical maths, algebra,trig,calc,differential equations, etcs...but its been awhile