FMH Server Issues

Otis

Elite Member
Not sure why I keep seeing this. Other sites' pages load without incident.

fmhGoof.JPG

Continued work on the server, maybe. Sluggishness comes and goes today.

Or Apache needs a patchin' , heh -- just kidding (fun to say, though)…

…but there was that prior bug where Apache Security used to kick me off the forum for 30 minutes, regularly. I was innocent, I tell ya. Innocent!

?

Just to chime in, I have no troubles. I'm using Chrome in case it's a browser issue.

-Dan

I haven't experienced any delays or failures today. (Yesterday was something else.)

\(\;\)

Is the Preview Tab working for anyone using the forum?
It is absolutely not working for me. It is awkward not to able to see the LaTeX rendering before posting it.

Is the Preview Tab working for anyone using the forum?
It is absolutely not working for me. It is awkward not to able to see the LaTeX rendering before posting it.
Hey @pka try it now. Completely different rendering engine that works better now. Try the f(x) button in the toolbar, or check the other thread in the Admin Issues forum.

I've made some backend server changes that may improve response time.

Edited to add: Looking at the stats from overnight at least, this resulted in a fairly substantial reduction in server load.

Last edited:
1626268265473.png
(First of all, I didn't know you could copy and paste images directly into the editor. Cool!)

Second, this is the server load running the traditional Apache server (left side) vs LiteSpeed server (right). Hopefully this results in less congestion.

I've made some backend server changes that may improve response time.

Edited to add: Looking at the stats from overnight at least, this resulted in a fairly substantial reduction in server load.
Ted

Thank you for all the work to keep this site up and running. But right now I can barely see the ribbon and I cannot get LaTeX at all.

Jeff

Ted

Thank you for all the work to keep this site up and running. But right now I can barely see the ribbon and I cannot get LaTeX at all.

Jeff
Are you able to provide a screenshot or something?

[math]\text {On desktop, it works through a pop-up: } tan(x) = \dfrac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}[/math]
I was having problems on my Ipad. I shall check whether it was some setting to prevent pop-ups.

Ted

Not working on Ipad even after I turned off the pop-up blocker. Working on Windows. I can manage. Thanks

[MATH]\text {Trying with MATH tags: } \dfrac{1}{2}[/MATH]

Jeff - for the moment, the tags are case sensitive. Need to use lower case math or imath bbcodes, or double dollar signs before and after. There's a few other options in the other thread but quite honestly it's not perfect yet. I don't want to provide a definitive list of what triggers which LaTeX or asciimath interpreter.

Jeff - for the moment, the tags are case sensitive. Need to use lower case math or imath bbcodes, or double dollar signs before and after. There's a few other options in the other thread but quite honestly it's not perfect yet. I don't want to provide a definitive list of what triggers which LaTeX or asciimath interpreter.
Great I’ll cope

there was that prior bug where Apache Security used to kick me off the forum for 30 minutes
@Ted That happened to me again, a few days ago, while I was at the library using my laptop with their WIFI. The IP address was blocked by FMH. I'd been engaged in a private conversation, when the forum's eternal, orange busy signal suddenly appeared. The forum server would not allow me to log back in, so I had to switch to a smartphone.

I wonder, were I to have been using one of the library's computers at the time, would all patrons in the library have been blocked from accessing the site?

:(

@Ted Your server has blocked my laptop's IP address, again. I'm now forced to access the forum by smartphone (for the usual 30 minutes, I presume). Blech!

:(