Geometric Proofs...Analyzing

G

I was going over geometric proofs last night just for fun and began to ask myself several questions.

I want to ask you the same questions.

Can I proof geometric shapes using numbers in terms of coordinate geometry?

For example:

If I am given that side AB = 10 and that side BC = AB, prove that triangle ABC is isosceles.

I should be able to proof that this is an isosceles triangle without having to use the statement vs reason chart. Am I making sense?

Take this one:

Given side AB is 9cm and side BC does equal side AB, prove that triangle ABC is NOT isosceles. Do you what I mean?

I think geometric shapes can be proven simply using numbers in place of the famous statement vs reason chart.

It is a MILLION times easier for me to proof geometric shapes using numbers in place of words. Agree?

This statement vs reason chart is only necessary to learn if I am going to teach high school math someday in a classroom. See my point?

I have seen MANY college geometry exams and never did I ONCE face a geometric proof question using the statement vs reason chart like they teach in high school.

What do you think?

Sometimes personal styles differ. Sometimes one is just being beligerant. I am often that one.

As a rule, there is a reason why a beginning student is being forced to learn a particular methodology. Very often, that reason is simply that the teaching of mathematics is not all about learning the mathematics. It's about learning to think in an organized, structured, and logical fashion. If you discard one method, it is likely you are missing out on something you should be getting.

Who cares if something else is even 10 billion times easier. Ease of accomplishment hardly is the ultimate human goal, is it?

My views. I welcome others'.