How do you do roots in LaTeX ?

nanaseailie

how do you do root ?
\(\displaystyle /squareroot 2 \)

JeffM

Elite Member
how do you do root ?
You start with pushing the calculator button in the scroll bar, the one between the flag icon and the x squared icon.

That gives you the tags to invoke Latex.

To get a square root, you type between the tags \sqrt{121} = 11. That results in

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{121} = 11.\)

To get a higher root, you type between the tags \sqrt[5]{32} = 2. That results in

\(\displaystyle \sqrt[5]{32} = 2.\)

The simplest way to learn Latex is to use the reply button on posts that contain LaTeX and look at the code.

mmm4444bot

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello nanaseailie. Often, a simple way to find LaTeX code for a particular symbol is to google it. For example, you could google square root symbol LaTeX and Google will show the code at the top of the search-results list. Jeff's suggestion (using 'Reply' to see code in someone else's post) is good. Another way is to right-click on existing LaTeX in the forum and then use the pop-up menu to see the code. That method is described in this thread; also included is a link to a wiki page that lists math symbols. If you have any other LaTeX questions, you may add them to this thread or start a new thread on the Administrative Issues board. Cheers

\(\;\)

pka

Elite Member
how do you do root ?
\sqrt{2} is the code for the symbolic square root two \(\displaystyle \sqrt2\)
\sqrt[5]{21} is the code for the symbolic fifth root twenty one \(\displaystyle \sqrt[5]{21}\)

nanaseailie

Hello nanaseailie. Often, a simple way to find LaTeX code for a particular symbol is to google it. For example, you could google square root symbol LaTeX and Google will show the code at the top of the search-results list. Jeff's suggestion (using 'Reply' to see code in someone else's post) is good. Another way is to right-click on existing LaTeX in the forum and then use the pop-up menu to see the code. That method is described in this thread; also included is a link to a wiki page that lists math symbols. If you have any other LaTeX questions, you may add them to this thread or start a new thread on the Administrative Issues board. Cheers

\(\;\)
thx mmm4444bot, I tried the wiki list but couldnt find the square root symbol.
but your google and other suggestions helped me
Thanks a bunch

nanaseailie

this is a good website, easy and user friendly.
it is helpful for me and hopefully to others as well.

topsquark

My personal favorite is Codecogs. The LaTeX is very similar to the version used here. I don't know the site you refered to, but one of the nice things about Codecogs is that you can save the code as an image and post the image here.

-Dan

mmm4444bot

Super Moderator
Staff member
… a good website, easy and user friendly …
Thanks for posting the link. I'm surprised that \sqrt{} and \sqrt[]{} are not predefined in the TeX package (or, perhaps, their omission from the wiki list was an oversight). I've added your link to the LaTeX notice, along with Dan's.

😎