How to know original value after percentage?

vinobe

If I have value of let say 15511 including 18% tax. Then how can I know the original value without that 18% tax?

Thanks for help.

If I have value of let say 15511 including 18% tax. Then how can I know the original value without that 18% tax?

Thanks for help.
If original amount is x, then 15511 is x plus 18% of x. Can you make an equation and solve it?

Thanks for help.
What is the FIND of the question ? " the original value (price) before tax. That is the unknown we need to find.

Assume the original price before tax is = p

Tax paid = 0.18 * p

Total price paid including tax = p + 0.18 * p = 1.18 * p

Continue....

Actually I need to I have received two amounts without any tax payments, and I need to calculate tax. So I need to find base value, it will be great if someone can help :)

Actually I need to I have received two amounts without any tax payments, and I need to calculate tax. So I need to find base value, it will be great if someone can help :)
We can help - but without any work shown, I cannot under stand why the responses #2 or #3 was not sufficient to solve your problem.

Sorry I'm not good at maths, can you exactly show math for figure 15511?
Once I know then I can apply that same method for other figures. Thanks!!

Sorry I'm not good at maths, can you exactly show math for figure 15511?
Once I know then I can apply that same method for other figures. Thanks!!
In my opinion, your problem is not mathematics - your problem is reading comprehension.

Read those two responses again and do something - so that we can get a starting point.

Tax paid = 0.18 * p

Total price paid including tax = p + 0.18 * p = 1.18 * p

I tried to calculate the P value, but unable to do get to that point. I need to simply find base value of P (15511) which is inclusive of 15% tax.

Thanks for help.
Please tell us why you are interested in solving this type of problem.

Are you taking a class where this (academic) problem has been given as an assignment.

Or is it a problem from your "business" - thus it is not an academic problem, but a practical one.

In either case, tell us about your "mathematics" background - have you taken any algebra?

How much effort & time you want to invest to learn the solution of these types of problem?

It's a problem I need to solve for my startup business, I've received two amounts and I need to calculate base value of P. So that I can add base value in my invoicing software, then 18% will be added on that.

My maths experience is very less, yes, I've studied algebra long-time back o_O

I really want to learn about this, as it's real-life situation.

I tried to calculate the P value, but unable to do get to that point. I need to simply find base value of P (15511) which is inclusive of 15% tax.
Let's try something.
1. What's the expression for 50% of x?
2. What is 2x+0.5x?
3. Can you solve this equation for x: 1.5x=12?

P = original price. P + .18P = 1P + .18P = 1.18P =15511
Now you need to sole for P. The numbers 1.18 and 15511 are not friendly numbers.

Let's try this with friendlier numbers.
Suppose you went to the store and bought three identical items which cost a total of $12.
Let P be the price of 1 item. So 3P=$12. How would you solve for P? Do the same to solve for P in 1.18P=15511

Sorry, unable to understand all this. If someone can tell me to follow some calculation/method for any figure X, I can apply the same for my 2 amounts. Thanks for understanding, maybe I'm not able to understand this to do this on my own.

It's a problem I need to solve for my startup business, I've received two amounts and I need to calculate base value of P. So that I can add base value in my invoicing software, then 18% will be added on that.

My maths experience is very less, yes, I've studied algebra long-time back o_O

I really want to learn about this, as it's real-life situation.
Then I stongly recommend you hire a bookkeeper to do the arithmetic for you!

Thanks for the suggestion, but having them for just 2 mistake amounts doesn't seem to be profitable ;)

Let me know if anyone can tell or suggest, thanks a lot. I need to keep looking & solve this!

Let me know if anyone can tell or suggest, thanks a lot. I need to keep looking & solve this!
[imath]1.18P=15511[/imath] now [imath]P=\dfrac{15511}{1.18}=1280.5084745762711[/imath]

pka may have hit a wrong calculator button.

15511/1.18 = 13144.92 (rounded to nearest penny).

:)