Identifying trend

gkintl

To identify the weekly trend of a stock or any other asset, I used to subtract the weekly close from the weekly open, divide by weekly open, and multiply by 100 to convert it into a percentage. Is there any other formula in statistics for that? I have a need to identify the assets which trend the most. I am not trying to forecast price.

Last edited:

tkhunny

Staff member
The slope of a least-squares regression line would give you better information. What tools have you?

Whoever thought of that "multiply by 100" stuff should be slapped, at least twice.

0.28 = 28%

There is no "multiply by 100" going on in there.

mmm4444bot

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whoever thought of that "multiply by 100" stuff should be slapped, at least twice.
Ouch. OUCH!

Well, I didn't think of it, but I'm guilty of propogating it. (Sure glad you didn't say "slapped 100 times".) ;)

I understand both sides of the argument; I think it's an apples-and-oranges situation.

tkhunny

Staff member
Fair enough, then you should be slapped 0.02 times 100 times, then we'll multiply that by 100. :)

gkintl

The slope of a least-squares regression line would give you better information. What tools have you?

0.28 = 28%

There is no "multiply by 100" going on in there.
Hello, Thanks for the suggestion. I plan to get the work done with excel. I have the necessary five year historic data. If you can think of any other model, pls., do write about that. Basically, I am trying to assess through multiple methods and arrive at a list of top ten stocks which trend the most.