Identifying trend

gkintl

To identify the weekly trend of a stock or any other asset, I used to subtract the weekly close from the weekly open, divide by weekly open, and multiply by 100 to convert it into a percentage. Is there any other formula in statistics for that? I have a need to identify the assets which trend the most. I am not trying to forecast price.

Last edited:
The slope of a least-squares regression line would give you better information. What tools have you?

Whoever thought of that "multiply by 100" stuff should be slapped, at least twice.

0.28 = 28%

There is no "multiply by 100" going on in there.

Whoever thought of that "multiply by 100" stuff should be slapped, at least twice.
Ouch. OUCH!

Well, I didn't think of it, but I'm guilty of propogating it. (Sure glad you didn't say "slapped 100 times".) ;)

I understand both sides of the argument; I think it's an apples-and-oranges situation.

Fair enough, then you should be slapped 0.02 times 100 times, then we'll multiply that by 100. :)

The slope of a least-squares regression line would give you better information. What tools have you?

0.28 = 28%

There is no "multiply by 100" going on in there.

Hello, Thanks for the suggestion. I plan to get the work done with excel. I have the necessary five year historic data. If you can think of any other model, pls., do write about that. Basically, I am trying to assess through multiple methods and arrive at a list of top ten stocks which trend the most.