Infimum of the (1+1/n)^n

viswanathan

I want to show that the infimum of the set of all numbers of the form [MATH]\bigg(1+\frac{1}{n}\bigg)^n[/MATH] where n=1,2,3,... is 2.

I believe I can prove this if I can show that
[MATH]\bigg(1+\frac{1}{n+1}\bigg)^{n+1} > \bigg(1+\frac{1}{n}\bigg)^n[/MATH]
But I don't know how to show this is true.
Someone please help.

I want to show that the infimum of the set of all numbers of the form [MATH]\bigg(1+\frac{1}{n}\bigg)^n[/MATH] where n=1,2,3,... is 2.

Someone please help.
If each term of the sequence an, then you want to show:

\(\displaystyle \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} \ \gt \ 1 \)

continue....

Someone please help.
Did you think about a proof by induction?

The problem statement is incorrect.

The infimum supremum should be e (Euler's number). However, if you want to proceed in your way: ....................... edited

If each term of the sequence an, then you want to show:

\(\displaystyle \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} \ \gt \ 1 \)

continue....

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem statement is incorrect.

The infimum should be e (Euler's number). However, if you want to proceed in your way:

The infimum is 2. The supremum is e.

@viswanathan
Perhaps use calculus to show that [MATH]y=\left(1+\tfrac{1}{x}\right)^x[/MATH] is increasing on [MATH] [1,\infty)[/MATH]therefore the minimum value is 2

The infimum is 2. The supremum is e.
You are absolutely right - I knew that one of these days those Latin words will bite me (I suppose you know that Latin is not my mother tongue!!). Please don't let Jomo see my goof - he is going to send me back to corner for infinitum.

You are absolutely right - I knew that one of these days those Latin words will bite me (I suppose you know that Latin is not my mother tongue!!). Please don't let Jomo see my goof - he is going to send me back to corner for infinitum.
Very nicely worked!

You have to use the binomial theorem.

Someone please help.

You need to use the binomial theorem. And it's not easy at all. The demonstration is serious business. I found it in "Cálculo diferencial e integral by Ricardo Noriega" 22 years ago I studied from his book and I got 10/10. The demonstration starts on page 25. Good luck!

Attachments

• Cálculo diferencial e integral-Noriega.pdf
    357 KB · Views: 3