Logic

lev888

Again, an example would help.
There are areas of math where problems have variables that do change. But it's clear from the problem statement which variables change and which don't. E.g. a diver steps off the diving platform that is 5 meters high. If the initial speed is 0 m/sec what will be his speed when he touches the water? Here the speed is 0 m/sec initially, but we know from observing falling apples that it increases based on certain laws of physics. But the platform height stays the same - we can assume that while the diver is in the air nobody drained the pool.

Otis

… whenever I conclude something or [it's] given … then it's fixed and there's no real life consequences …
I can't say that applies to all parts of every math exercise, but -- in general -- the given conditions of an exercise don't change.

And, yes, if you're told that x=6 for some specific purpose, then x is 6 for that purpose and you don't need to consider that 6 might change into a different number in that part of the exercise.

I agree with lev888, above. When you feel uncertain about something in an exercise, I think you need to post the complete exercise statement verbatim, and then tell us what you're thinking. When you ask questions by making up bits and pieces of unrelated stuff as examples, it puts us in the position of trying to generalize about situations we can't see. There are exceptions in math, so I think working with a specific, complete exercise statement is the best way to deal with your concerns.

😎