Logic

Suppose a=b and a=c.
Then we have a-b=0 and a-c=0.
Subtract and get -b+c=0. So b=c.
There is the proof.
If you can't understand what JeffM you might not get this but this is the standard proof to show the transitive law of equality.

Just for the record, if you and I are the same age and you are also the same age as Jose you really don't see that that Jose and I are the same age?
regarding to your analogy is really fantastic, I see ! but what's confusing me , I see they are same, but why? I asked my self why are the same, and didn't answer my self, because it's right without any clarifications, my problem why it right .. like something magic just right without reason :) !

regarding to your analogy is really fantastic, I see ! but what's confusing me , I see they are same, but why? I asked my self why are the same, and didn't answer my self, because it's right without any clarifications, my problem why it right .. like something magic just right without reason :) !
There is a set of all people aged 30. If you are the same age as one of the members of this set, you become a member. Therefore, your age is the same as age of all other members.

… I see they are same, but why? …
You said you can "see" that a = c. There must be a reason why you said that. Perhaps, you can use the same reason to answer to your question above. Please post your explanation, so that we may confirm your vision.

?

Hi guys, I know it might be a trivial question, but once again, Im struggling to understand it but no offense still struggling and I need to understand and not like parrot if this as this ..

what's confusing me the order of given data in the question;
lets assume given
X=10
M=20

and in the other question given
M=20
X=10

what's confusing me why the order of given data isn't significant and if we change the order of given data then it's not affect our understanding/solution????

could anyone attach me please an analogy for why the order of given data isn't matter for solving the problem??

Really thanks, and Im not asking why it's true, Im asking how could I understand or comprehend the concept that the order of given data isn't affected for solving the problem for example given x=7,m=8 is the same given data as m=8, x=7

Hi guys, I know it might be a trivial question, but once again, Im struggling to understand it but no offense still struggling and I need to understand and not like parrot if this as this ..

lets assume given
X=10
M=20

M=20
X=10

what's confusing me why the order of given data isn't significant and if we change the order of given data then it's not affect our understanding/solution

could anyone attach me please an analogy for why the order of given data isn't matter for solving the problem
X is 10 and M is 20 regardless of the order. How can the solution change if the given values do not change?

You give 20 people a form to fill out. Will the results be different depending on the order you retrieve the forms in. It is what it is. If X is 10 and M is 20 you can't change that, it is given.

lets assume given
X=10
M=20

M=20
X=10
Both of these statements say exactly the same thing. What would cause you to think otherwise? Do you have a specfic question you are working from where there might be some kind of difference?

-Dan

could anyone attach me please an analogy for why the order of given data isn't matter for solving the problem??
Sometimes order matters, and sometimes it does not. Usually it is just a matter of common sense.

You want an analogy? Suppose you are eating, and I put your meat on the left side of the plate, and your rice on the right. Tomorrow I put the rice on the left and the meat on the right. Does that have any effect on your nutrition? You have the same inputs, just placed differently.

On the other hand, suppose you have no left hand, and you can't reach anything on the left side. Then it will make a difference.

As for math problems, the order in which facts are given to you has no effect, as long as they are all available at the same time. Often I will read a word problem and write down the data in a different order than it was given, in order to organize it better. When I solve the problem all the information is there in front of me, regardless of its location.

But if the difference between two problems was such that the meaning of the numbers were changed (e.g. X=10 and M=20 in one problem, and M=10 and X=20 in the other), then they would be different problems.

But, as others have said, why would you think otherwise? If you think two things are different you need to have a reason. I think you are too skeptical of everything, and need to practice common sense.

The house is painted red and black means exactly the same thing as the house is painted black and red.

I've read all your solutions guys, really appreciated and I really get benefit from your answers, I admit that might my question is really nonesense but I really struggle it more than struggling on the complex questions, simply appreciated guys

Hi guys, I want to share my problem, not trying to say that Im wrong but Im not convinced and once Im not convinced while I solve a problem, I really find it hard to tolerate with it, so I appreciate you guys to bear me to learn the basic with more fun and with more fruitful meaning.

once I have equation X=Y*9+M , given Y=6;
if by specific logic I found from equation X=Y*9+M that M=6 , so if I want to find X then I just assign to the equation X=Y*9 +M , and then finding X.

my problem is this , why logically is right to plug back or assign back parameters to the equation X=Y*9+M in order to find X
what's confusing me is that I found out parameters so why its logically to plug them back to the equation X=Y*9+M in order to find X , the confusing part is assigning back parameters to the equation in order to find X , if there's analogy to elaborate why its logically true to assign back parametrs to equation in order to find out the missing variable would be really appreciated .. thanks alot

I need to understand or actually be convinced why returning back to the equation with what I found of parameters is logically accepted ..

lemme be more frankly, once I do operation like assigning back to equation, I ask my self why it's true, Im not finding answer so I get confused .. here's the catch to all my trivial problems or actually trivial approaches .. if could anyone advice me what should I do to overcome on that problem would be really appreciated .

I guess my question has to be "what do you think something like "y= 5+ 4" or "x= 8*3" means?" I learned many long years ago that "5+ 4" means that I am to add 5 and 4 so that y= 9, and that "8*3" means that I am to multiply 8 and 3 so that x= 24. Didn't you learn that? So that if an equation says " X=Y*9+M" and I am told that Y= 6 then I know that X= 6*9+ M= 54+ M. If, further, "by specific logic I found from equation X=Y*9+M that M=6" then I would know that X= 54+ 6= 60.

(I do wonder exactly what "if by specific logic I found from equation X=Y*9+M that M=6". Unless you have additional information, no logic can deduce that Y= 6 from that equation alone.)

lemme be more frankly, once I do operation like assigning back to equation, I ask my self why it's true, Im not finding answer so I get confused .. here's the catch to all my trivial problems or actually trivial approaches .. if could anyone advice me what should I do to overcome on that problem would be really appreciated .
You are ordering 9 items on Amazon. Total cost is 9*price plus shipping: X=Y*9+M
After you pick the seller you like you know the price and the shipping fee. How do you find the total? You plug them into the formula.

Letters in elementary algebra stand for numbers you do not know yet. Once you know what a number is, you can replace the letter standing for that number with the numeral that represents that specific number.

Hi guys, I was solving a question that tells me in its question this thing -
we define that cos^2+sin^2=2 and not 1.

what I know that it's defined that cos^2+sin^2=1 .. so what's confusing me .. as I solve the question .. I solve it according to what's given or to what I know?
I mean if in the question didn't give me that cos^2+sin^2=2 then automatically that cos^2+sin^2=1 and I solve according to it .. but now given in the question that cos^2+sin^2=2 .. so what should I consider to choose? and if to choose what he gives me in he question .. then why? thanks

what I know that it's defined that cos^2+sin^2=1 .. so what's confusing me .. as I solve the question .. I solve it according to what's given or to what I know?
I mean if in the question didn't give me that cos^2+sin^2=2 then automatically that cos^2+sin^2=1 and I solve according to it .. but now given in the question that cos^2+sin^2=2 .. so what should I consider to choose? and if to choose what he gives me in he question .. then why? thanks
That is a nonsense question.

Please show us an image (or link) of the source from which you got this. If it's real at all, and not just a joke, then the context would make it clear why they make such a statement. Without that, there is nothing here worth discussing.

Since you haven't mentioned any angle in your question then the equation can be correct in this way: [MATH]sin^290°+cos^20°=2[/MATH]

You really need to include angles! It is NOT true that sin2(x)+ cos2(y) = 1, unless x=y.

Now if you were given sin2(x)+ cos2(x) = 2 that is another story. Just like 5+2 = 7 no matter what, sin2(x)+ cos2(x) = 1, always. So basically sin2(x)+ cos2(x) = 2 is the same equation as 1=2 which is nonsense.