Matrix multiplication

HelpNeeder

If A, B, C and D are arbitrary matrices (with the correct amount of rown and columns to be multiplied)

and if

A * B = C

can

A * D = C ?

Thank you in advance.

There exist matrices A, B, C, D: B ≠ D and AB = C = AD
(if that's what you mean).

All you need is that [MATH]\text{A}\boldsymbol{x}=\boldsymbol{c_j}[/MATH] for some column [MATH]\boldsymbol{c_j}[/MATH] of C, to have non-unique solutions for [MATH]\boldsymbol{x}[/MATH].

E.g.
[MATH] \left(\begin{matrix}2&1&3\\0&1&2\\\end{matrix}\right)\left(\begin{matrix}1\\2\\3\\\end{matrix}\right)=\left(\begin{matrix}13\\8\\\end{matrix}\right)[/MATH][MATH]\left(\begin{matrix}2&1&3\\0&1&2\\\end{matrix}\right)\left(\begin{matrix}2\\6\\1\\\end{matrix}\right)=\left(\begin{matrix}13\\8\\\end{matrix}\right)[/MATH]

Thank you! The thing is that I do not understand why in this case the solution is unique:
1617889046366.png

Here is the proof:
1617889090823.png
Becayse if I multiply A-1 to another b, then I can still have the same u?

And the statement
If there is a b in Rn such that the equation Ax = b is consistent, then the solution is unique.
is false.
So I do not understand why they are talking about uniqueness here.

And the statement
If the equation Ax = b has at least one solution for each b in Rn, then the solution is unique for each b.
is true...

Thank you! The thing is that I do not understand why in this case the solution is unique:
View attachment 26285

Here is the proof:
View attachment 26286
Becayse if I multiply A-1 to another b, then I can still have the same u?

I take it you are linking this to your original post:
Can there exist matrices A, B, C, D:
B ≠ D and AB = C and AD = C
As I showed, such things do exist.
However it does not mean that for all matrices A, C (of correct sizes), there always exist B ≠ D: AB = C and AD = C

In particular, if A is invertible: then for matrix C, there is a unique matrix B: AB = C (namely A-1C)
(and so there is a unique solution to Ax=b (namely A-1b)).

Thank you! But how can we be sure that A-1C is unique?
AB = C [MATH]\quad[/MATH](1)
As A is invertible, [MATH]\text{A}^{-1}[/MATH] exists.
You can then left multiply both sides of equation (1) by [MATH]\text{A}^{-1}[/MATH][MATH]\text{A}^{-1}\text{AB} = \text{A}^{-1} \text{C}[/MATH][MATH]\text{IB}[/MATH] = [MATH]\text{A}^{-1}\text{C}[/MATH][MATH]\text{B=}\text{A}^{-1}\text{C}[/MATH]
[MATH]\text{A}^{-1}\text{C}[/MATH] is the product of two matrices. You only get one unique answer when you multiply two matrices together.

Thank you! But how can we be sure that A-1C is unique?
I know that Lex has already told you why A-1C is unique but I have to repeat the answer. Whenever you multiply two matrices of proper sizes you only get one answer!!!!

AB = C [MATH]\quad[/MATH](1)
As A is invertible, [MATH]\text{A}^{-1}[/MATH] exists.
You can then left multiply both sides of equation (1) by [MATH]\text{A}^{-1}[/MATH][MATH]\text{A}^{-1} \text{AB} = \text{A}^{-1} \text{C}[/MATH][MATH]\text{IB}[/MATH] = [MATH]\text{A}^{-1} \text{C}[/MATH][MATH]\text{B=} \text{A}^{-1} \text{C}[/MATH]
[MATH]\text{A}^{-1} \text{C}[/MATH] is the product of two matrices. You only get one unique answer when you multiply two matrices together.
Is it just me or does the LaTeX not render here? I can't find any mistakes (though the continued use of the text statements seems superfluous to me.)

-Dan

Is it just me or does the LaTeX not render here? I can't find any mistakes (though the continued use of the text statements seems superfluous to me.)

-Dan
I think it does not like upper case markups. I tried both cases, and only lower case seems to work:
[math]e^{\pi i}+1[/math] [MATH]e^{\pi i}+1[/MATH]

Yes the new system does not seem to accept uppercase 'MATH'. (It worked when it was originally posted).
The use of /text{} was to stop the labels for the matrices from being italicised.

For the record,
0B=0C where 0 is the zero matrix and B and C are the same appropriate size and not equal.