maximum weight

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, dear friends and teachers:
this is a new problem I am working on.
A woman buys eight items at the grocery store. The lightest item weights 6 ounces and the heaviest item weighs 14 ounces. The woman buys four items that weigh 10 ounces each. What is the maximum weight of the of the items purchased?.

Given
8 items bought.
Lightest item weight=6 oz
Heaviest item weighs=14 oz
Max weight of items purchased=?
I would need a hint to start me off. I don't know how to start. That is my main problem. Don't know how to start.
Thanks for you invaluable help.
eddy

Last edited:
You have 8 items. 4 items weigh 10 oz each.
The lightest item weigh 6 oz and the heaviest item weigh 14 oz.
Now we have the exact weight of 6 of the 8 items.
To compute the minimum weight we would let the last two items have the least weight of 6 oz. The min weight would be 10+10+10+10+14+6+6+6.

So what would the max weight be?

Hi, dear friends and teachers:
this is a new problem I am working on.
A woman buys eight items at the grocery store. The lightest item weights 6 ounces and the heaviest item weighs 14 ounces. The woman buys four items that weigh 10 ounces each. What is the maximum weight of the of the items purchased?.

Given
8 items bought.
Lightest item weight=6 oz
Heaviest item weighs=14 oz
Max weight of items purchased=?
I would need a hint to start me off. I don't know how to start. That is my main problem. Don't know how to start.
Thanks for you invaluable help.
eddy
Pen and paper are your friends if you don't know where to start.
Draw 8 circles and fill in 6 known weights. What is the max weight of the remaining 2 items?

You have 8 items. 4 items weigh 10 oz each.
The lightest item weighs 6 oz and the heaviest item weigh 14 oz.
Now we have the exact weight of 6 of the 8 itemss
To compute the minimum weight we would let the last two items have the least weight of 6 oz. The min weight would be 10+10+10+10+14+6+6+6.

So what would the max weight be?
Thanks, Jomo. One thing I am not getting: Why three 6? 6 +6 +6, if the problem says the lightest item ( just one).

Pen and paper are your friends if you don't know where to start.
Draw 8 circles and fill in 6 known weights. What is the max weight of the remaining 2 items?
Ok, let me try that. Thanks.

Thanks, Jomo. One thing I am not getting: Why three 6? 6 +6 +6, if the problem says the lightest item ( just one).
Nowhere in the problem does it say that exactly one item has a weight of 6 oz. Why can't it have more than one? To have the light possible weight let the two unknown items have the lightest weight which is 6oz.

Jomo was trying to shine a light to show you the way. He was calculating the MINIMUM weight - twin sibling of your problem.

Nowhere in the problem does it say that exactly one item has a weight of 6 oz. Why can't it have more than one? To have the light possible weight let the two unknown items have the lightest weight which is 6oz.
Well, it says this: The lightest item weigh 6 oz and the heaviest item weigh 14 oz.
I mean that to be there is one item (the lighest of them all) that weighs 6 oz. Isn't it?.

Okay, let's do this. I would love to explore the two approaches. Jomo's and lev's.
I am going to follow Jomo's now. Not to get lost doing two approaches at the same time. It confuses me.

In your math class your teacher tells you that the highest grade on the last test was 93. After speaking to Jose and Harry separately they both tell you that they got a grade of 93 on the test. So you assume that (at least) one of them is lying to you? Strange.

Jomo was trying to shine a light to show you the way. He was calculating the MINIMUM weight - twin sibling of your problem.
Great. I asked a question. Why 6 + 6 + 6, when the problem says the lightest item weighs 6. (meaning superlative, only one the lightest. I need you to address my questions, please, so I can follow a line of reasoning.

Okay, let's do this. I would love to explore the two approaches. Jomo's and lev's.
I am going to follow Jomo's now. Not to get lost doing two approaches at the same time. It confuses me.
lev is just asking you to list the 8 weights to obtain the max. I am asking the same. How can you possible do this problem without figuring out the 8 weights. Lets move on.

In your math class your teacher tells you that the highest grade on the last test was 93. After speaking to Jose and Harry separately they both tell you that they got a grade of 93 on the test. So you assume that (at least) one of them is lying to you? Strange.
I got it. Generally speaking that is a true statement. Got it.

Great. I asked a question. Why 6 + 6 + 6, when the problem says the lightest item weighs 6. (meaning superlative, only one the lightest. I need you to address my questions, please, so I can follow a line of reasoning.
Nowhere did it say that only one item had the least weight of 6oz. There are two unknown weights. To obtain the lowest possible weight you should let these two items have the least weight of 6oz. So there will be three items with a weight of 6 oz.

To lev88 : Your drawing circles approach interested me too. It was a good to set it up. I understand now why, after working the problem with Jomo. Thanks a lot.
Khan to you too.
Thanks to all.