maximum weight

To lev88 : Your drawing circles approach interested me too. It was a good to set it up. I understand now why, after working the problem with Jomo. Thanks a lot.
Khan to you too.
Thanks to all.
It's not a different approach. It's a way to organize what's given in the problem. It may help, especially if you don't know where to begin.

It's not a different approach. It's a way to organize what's given in the problem. It may help, especially if you don't know where to begin.
Yes, that is what it really is. One question now that you have said that. Do you think it is a start with any problem to always take to drawing what is written?.

Yes, that is what it really is. One question now that you have said that. Do you think it is a start with any problem to always take to drawing what is written?.
Some problems do not have a picture that goes with it. If a picture can be drawn then I suggest that you draw one. As far as drawing circles and putting the weights in them vs just listing the weights they seem the same to me. When i write down the weight I see this number as the item but if it is clearer for you to write the weight in a circle then go for it.

If you know what to do, there is no need for an extra drawing. But it helps to have a visual representation for word problems. I think it allows you see better how things are related and relationships are the key to setting up equations.

Hi, dear friends and teachers:
this is a new problem I am working on.
A woman buys eight items at the grocery store. The lightest item weights 6 ounces and the heaviest item weighs 14 ounces. The woman buys four items that weigh 10 ounces each. What is the maximum weight of the of the items purchased?.

Given
8 items bought.
Lightest item weight=6 oz
Heaviest item weighs=14 oz
Max weight of items purchased=?
I would need a hint to start me off. I don't know how to start. That is my main problem. Don't know how to start.
Thanks for you invaluable help.
eddy
I observe that you have picked up two essential "superb" habits. Before doing anything else - you "read" the problem thoroughly and "explicitly wrote" out the - FIND and GIVENs. Prof. Polya would have been proud of you.

One take-way from this problem for you - An adjective of "minimum" and/or "maximum" does not imply a singular number!! Those adjective can be assigned to number of elements.

I observe that you have picked up two essential "superb" habits. Before doing anything else - you "read" the problem thoroughly and "explicitly wrote" out the - FIND and GIVENs. Prof. Polya would have been proud of you.

One take-way from this problem for you - An adjective of "minimum" and/or "maximum" does not imply a singular number!! Those adjective can be assigned to number of elements.
:D Thanks so much. You can't begin to imagine how much this words of encouragement mean to me.
By the way, I was not familiar with the name. I searched it online and ended up printing out his problem solving techniques.
Thanks for mentioning him.