My Journey With Mathematics

Yes .... there are caveats to this advise! It also assumes that you are going to live till you are ~80 to break-even with government. However, in many cases cash-flow is a critical situation. As you indicated this is not cure for all! Everyone needs to go through this with a spreadsheet.

But in most cases, "a healthy" customer comes out ahead by waiting!!

I am 54 with serious joint pain due to arthritis. Can I really accept as true that my body will endure the agony of patrolling on the overnight hours even 10 more years?

… One must KEEP WORKING from 66 to 70 in order to [increase their monthly benefit amount].
That is correct for most folks because they have no savings to live on while they wait to claim. Various businesses and organizations have polled citizens in the USA over the past few years, asking questions about savings habits and financial health. In particular, the results from baby boomers have been consistently grim. In one survey, over 60% reported they would not be able to handle a $400 emergency today. Too many report also that, in addition to no savings, they have no pension, no family and more than $10,000 in current credit card debt. I don't know what they will do.

:(

That is correct for most folks because they have no savings to live on while they wait to claim. Various businesses and organizations have polled citizens in the USA over the past few years, asking questions about savings habits and financial health. In particular, the results from baby boomers have been consistently grim. In one survey, over 60% reported they would not be able to handle a $400 emergency today. Too many report also that, in addition to no savings, they have no pension, no family and more than $10,000 in current credit card debt. I don't know what they will do.

Me:

1. Less than $1000 in the bank.

2. Biweekly check $952.

3. Paying back loan on the 9th of each month.

4. Weekly metrocard for subway and bus at $33.

5. Food expense....I rent a room and buy out almost everyday.

6. I am a baby boomer.

7. Monthly phone bill at $75.

8. A penny for your thoughts???

What are thoughts concerning facebook math groups? Most groups on facebook are popular and growing everyday. I do not trust facebook, honestly. It's easy to see what people are doing and what groups they belong to. What do you say?

I do not want anyone outside of FMH to know about my secret review of math. Friends and family will not understand. I will get heavily criticised for reviewing material that, according to them, should only concern students and math teachers not someone who is 54 years old.

They see no practicality in a review of math, especially if it does not lead to more money or progress in life. Trust me, reviewing math for the purpose of education and knowledge is something they cannot relate to. My family and friends are satisfied in terms of knowing how much change they will get at the local grocery store after purchasing a soda, for example.

To them a linear equation like y = 2x is nonsense and should only matters in a math class preparing for a test leading to credits for the purpose of graduation. Outside of this simple view of mathematics, equations are for nerds and bored people. I disagree. What do you say?

What do you say?
What does this have to do with math and this forum?
Seriously, we do not need to know about your personal problems.
This is nothing against you but it is just the way these forums are.

What do you say?
What does this have to do with math and this forum?
Seriously, we do not need to know about your personal problems.
This is nothing against you but it is just the way these forums are.

The main idea here is THE PRACTICALITY OF MATH. I am not the focus. It is not about my problems. Do you think it is a waste of time and energy to review math for the sake of learning and knowledge?

One of the students I regularly help in our community college learning center is 70. He's taking a calculus course (and having great fun, from all appearances, including studying with students 1/3 of his age).

Why? Because he wants to. What more is needed?

Of course, maybe he's a bored nerd. So what?

One of the students I regularly help in our community college learning center is 70. He's taking a calculus course (and having great fun, from all appearances, including studying with students 1/3 of his age).

Why? Because he wants to. What more is needed?

Of course, maybe he's a bored nerd. So what?

Thanks for sharing your story. To those outside of math interest, we are all nerds, I guess. They say who cares about y = x or y = -x. They go shopping and know how much change after a purchase and math is nothing more than that. Dr. Peterson, you understood my OP. It is not about my problems with friends and family. It is about the PRACTICALITY OF MATH. You understood. Thank you.

What are thoughts concerning facebook math groups? Most groups on facebook are popular and growing everyday. I do not trust facebook, honestly. It's easy to see what people are doing and what groups they belong to. What do you say?
I'll not join "Facebook group" - even if somebody described it as "stairway to heaven" (and Mark Z bought it!).

The main idea here is THE PRACTICALITY OF MATH. I am not the focus. It is not about my problems …
What are you talking about?! Your OP contains ten sentences; 70% of them are about you, your family, your friends, their opinions and your implied or explicit problems with it all.

… Outside of this simple view of mathematics, equations are for nerds and bored people …
Who's opinion is that?

… What do you say?
I'm in agreement with the regular members who believe that your threads of this nature do not belong in the forum. You have already submitted more than a sufficient number of posts griping about your personal situations and/or seeking self-validation. I'm taking this opportunity to remind you also that this behavior is exactly one of the reasons why you have been permanently banned from other math forums. Your situation here is becoming tiring, yet again.

@harpazo: Just a gentle reminder... We had a similar discussion about this on MHF. This is not Facebook. Stick to the Math and you'll be fine.

-Dan

@harpazo: Just a gentle reminder... We had a similar discussion about this on MHF. This is not Facebook. Stick to the Math and you'll be fine.

-Dan

In that case and since so many here feel that I seek help other than numbers, please delete this post. If I could delete this post, I would. I am not an administrator.