My Posting Plans

Ah c'mon Harpazo; you're now posting under 2 names: think you're a special case or something?

Ah c'mon Harpazo; you're now posting under 2 names: think you're a special case or something?

I had trouble logging into mathdad after trying to change my email. So, I created a new account. I thought you were going to ignore my posts.

Agree. (His reputation is established, and it precedes him.)
Why not simplify ban all his email addresses? He has shown himself to be a TROLL,
Why not remover a cancer on the board? Moreover, his understanding of Greek is not the classical(Biblical). I say 'fling him to the outer darkness'.

Why not simplify ban [him] ...
Simply eliminating problems at the source (instead of seeking solutions first) has been my MO, during a number of times in my life thus far. Yet, in this case, I'd like to see harpazo afforded some more time to change. I've noticed improvement, recently.

He's been advised about consequences, and those are firm.

\(\;\)

Why not simplify ban all his email addresses? He has shown himself to be a TROLL,
Why not remover a cancer on the board? Moreover, his understanding of Greek is not the classical(Biblical). I say 'fling him to the outer darkness'.

I cannot believe how nasty and hateful this comment is to me. To pka and Denis, I say one simple word: IGNORE. Yes, ignore my math questions in a math forum. There are many other tutors here that will gladly help me when needed. To pka, you have no idea why I selected the word harpazo. There is a logical reason connected to 1st Thessalonians 4:17. I will not get biblical with you here. By the way, I also have a Religious Education degree with a concentration on Eschatology. In other words, I know more about biblical matters than you give me credit for.

To pka:

1. I am shocked at the way you decided to reply here.
2. I have never and would never call anyone a TROLL. This is ridiculously childish.
3. Please, ignore my questions from now on.

To Denis:

1. You are too old to behave like a high school teen.
2. How many times must I BEG YOU to ignore my questions? I do not have time to deal with adults behaving badly, sadly, and ignorantly.
3. I have nothing more to say to you and pka.

harpzo, I do not believe you are a troll. However you are showing some trollish behavior:
1) Large numbers of posts
2) Posting problems that are essentially the same as other problems, just with different values
3) A thin skin when it comes to responses that disagree with you
4) A tendancy to not apply repeated advice from other members in your posts.

None of these individually would make you a troll. But you are showing all of them which makes it look like you are.

-Dan

To pka ... I have never and would never call anyone a TROLL. This is ridiculously childish ...
But, harpazo, some of your behavior in the forum has been childish, too. I'm not defending pka's reply (he can be overly abrupt, and I don't even know whether you and he share the same definition of 'troll'), but -- honestly -- thoughts of trolls did cross my mind for awhile, after your arrival.

Let's not forget: You've been booted from other math forums. The reasons why are valid. So, perhaps you ought to receive the troll name as just someone's personal opinion (not a title) and accept that it formed from valid reasons.

Also, you have a reputation. ? Reputations can fade away with time (as long as they aren't continually reinforced). A few months without incidents (eg: angry and/or argumentative posts) will go a long way toward making that happen.

To Denis ... You are too old to behave like a high school teen ... I do not have time to deal with adults behaving badly ...
You've expressed an opinion, too. I'm sure Denis received it as opinion and (probably) won't give it a second thought. I hope you make some time, to reflect upon and deal with your own bad, adult behavior.

PS: I think some of your reactions here are a bit overblown. In school, I eventually learned to ignore name-calling because words can't harm me unless I let them. As an adult, people have criticized my behavior (sometimes nastily). When that happens, I sleep on it and consider their words over a few days. A cooling-off period helps to examine behavior objectively. Sometimes, I'll ask a confidant for a second opinion. In short, it requires effort to be honest with oneself; it takes effort to change what a person discovers they don't like about themself. People who avoid looking inward rarely improve.

\(\;\)

I am back in the Intermediate/Advanced Algebra forum again. Let me try one more time and see how things roll. I'm happy to be back in the forum.

A few things I want to say:

1. I am reviewing college algebra on my own to reconnect with material learned over 20 years ago.

2. All questions posted come from Michael Sullivan's College Algebra Edition 9 textbook.

3. I am not a student in a formal classroom setting. I am a middle aged man not a young college guy.

4. If my questions are too "simple" or "boring", feel free to ignore or skip my posts.

5. I did not come here to argue with anyone. I simply enjoy math and want to improve my skills.

Thank you,
harpazo

P. S. I will be using MathMagic Lite when needed to make clear posted questions.

Below is a list of sections that I plan to review before Chapter 1 in my College Algebra by Michael Sullivan Edition 9.

R.1 Real Numbers & Sets
R.2 Algebra Essentials
R.3 Geometry Essentials
R.4 Polynomials
R.5 Factoring Polynomials
R.6 Synthetic Division
R.7 Rational Expressions
R.8 Rational Exponents

Note: R.1 has already been complete.

I am going to use this site for as long as possible for help with setting up equations in terms of word problems. This is my greatest challenge in math in addition to proofs. Learning to create the needed equation(s) to solve applications is good enough for me.

Back in my youth, I failed many WORD PROBLEMS exams leading to decent paying jobs. This is after earning three college degrees. It is a miracle that I was able to pass the ASVAB in 1985 and again in 1996 when joining the Navy. So, my concentration will strictly be applications.

Last edited:
I am going to use this site for as long as possible for help with setting up equations in terms of word problems. This is my greatest challenge in math in addition to proofs. Learning to create the needed equation(s) to solve applications is good enough for me.

Back in my youth, I failed many exams leading to decent paying jobs. This is after earning three college degrees. It is a miracle that I was able to pass the ASVAB in 1985 and again in 1996 when joining the Navy. So, my concentration will strictly be applications.
And I shall say that this is the complete secret of applying algebra to practical problems. So your decision is wise. It reflects the greatest deficiency in math education at basic levels. It is much easier to teach mechanical techniques than the translation into mathematical terms of problems stated in a natural language. So the average teacher in high school opts for the easy route of teaching meaningless mechanics. Thus, few students learn how to use mathematics. The whole system delenda est