Need help with translating into variable expression

pooja2083

1)The Diameter of the baseball is approximatly one-fourth the diameter of the basketball. Express the Diameter of a baseball in terms of diameter of basketball.

2) Translate "Six times the sum of the square of a number and four" into a variable expression and simplify?

3) Translate " The product of number and two less than a number" into variable expression?

Thank you

pooja2083

Could some one double check my work for me plz

1)The Diameter of the baseball is approximatly one-fourth the diameter of the basketball. Express the Diameter of a baseball in terms of diameter of basketball.

(Diameter of baseball) = (diameter of a basketball) 1 /4

2) Translate "Six times the sum of the square of a number and four" into a variable expression and simplify?

6( n^2 +4)

3) Translate " The product of number and two less than a number" into variable expression?

n(n-2)

Thank you

lookagain

Define your variables

(Diameter of baseball) = (diameter of a basketball) 1 /4 \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \)If you type it horizontally, put the one-fourth as a fraction in parentheses and out in front of the variable.

I would use one letter for each unknown.

Let b = the diameter of the baseball

Let B = the diameter of the basketball

I'll use your main idea for the variable expressions and the equation:

b = (1/4)B

2) Translate "Six times the sum of the square of a number and four" into a variable expression and > > > simplify? < < <

Let n = the number.

6(n^2 + 4) \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \) Okay. \(\displaystyle \ \ \)According to the instructions, you still need to simplify it.

3) Translate " The product of anumber and two less than a number" into variable expression?

Let n = the number.

n(n - 2)\(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \)Okay.

lookagain

Not trying for an argument...but did you not preach at us
that it is bad practice to use capitals as variables?

No, Denis, I'm pretty sure my stance has been/is I want people to avoid variables that are more than one letter in length.

Look at these examples involving profit, revenue, cost; width, length, perimeter; interest, principal, rate, time; etc.
that I would never object to in their style of case of letters, for just some examples:

P = R - C

P = 2W + 2L

A = LW

V = LWH

I = PRT

etc.