Need help with translating into variable expression

pooja2083

1)The Diameter of the baseball is approximatly one-fourth the diameter of the basketball. Express the Diameter of a baseball in terms of diameter of basketball.

2) Translate "Six times the sum of the square of a number and four" into a variable expression and simplify?

3) Translate " The product of number and two less than a number" into variable expression?

Thank you

Could some one double check my work for me plz

1)The Diameter of the baseball is approximatly one-fourth the diameter of the basketball. Express the Diameter of a baseball in terms of diameter of basketball.

(Diameter of baseball) = (diameter of a basketball) 1 /4

2) Translate "Six times the sum of the square of a number and four" into a variable expression and simplify?

6( n^2 +4)

3) Translate " The product of number and two less than a number" into variable expression?

n(n-2)

Thank you

Define your variables

(Diameter of baseball) = (diameter of a basketball) 1 /4 \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \)If you type it horizontally, put the one-fourth as a fraction in parentheses and out in front of the variable.

I would use one letter for each unknown.

Let b = the diameter of the baseball

Let B = the diameter of the basketball

I'll use your main idea for the variable expressions and the equation:

b = (1/4)B

2) Translate "Six times the sum of the square of a number and four" into a variable expression and > > > simplify? < < <

Let n = the number.

6(n^2 + 4) \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \) Okay. \(\displaystyle \ \ \)According to the instructions, you still need to simplify it.

3) Translate " The product of anumber and two less than a number" into variable expression?

Let n = the number.

n(n - 2)\(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \)Okay.

Not trying for an argument...but did you not preach at us
that it is bad practice to use capitals as variables?

No, Denis, I'm pretty sure my stance has been/is I want people to avoid variables that are more than one letter in length.

Look at these examples involving profit, revenue, cost; width, length, perimeter; interest, principal, rate, time; etc.
that I would never object to in their style of case of letters, for just some examples:

P = R - C

P = 2W + 2L

A = LW

V = LWH

I = PRT

etc.