quantifing time

Zeanah

a task takes 30 minutes, and yields 20$, done manually.
this is a little over 1 penny per second.

if i determine ive unscrewed 500 screws in the past month, using a power drill method, which ive determined is .33 % faster than manual and took 2 seconds each screw.

this is 1000 seconds ive engaged in unscrewing screws in the month.

how many seconds did I save by using the drill method opposed to manual? and how much money does this equate to?

a task takes 30 minutes, and yields 20$, done manually.
this is a little over 1 penny per second.

if i determine ive unscrewed 500 screws in the past month, using a power drill method, which ive determined is .33 % faster than manual and took 2 seconds each screw.

this is 1000 seconds ive engaged in unscrewing screws in the month.

how many seconds did I save by using the drill method opposed to manual? and how much money does this equate to?
ive unscrewed 500 screws in the past month, using a power drill method, which ive determined is .33 % faster than manual
Are you sure it is - .33 % faster (decimal point in front of 33%) - and not 33% (no-decimal point in front of 33%)faster?

Please post the exact problem as it was given to you - a photocopy of the assignment will be preferable.

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

Are you sure it is - .33 % faster (decimal point in front of 33%) - and not 33% (no-decimal point in front of 33%)faster?

Please post the exact problem as it was given to you - a photocopy of the assignment will be preferable.

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem
Sorry, it is 33% faster. I was using the decimal for actual calculation. ie 15 screws took 80 seconds with powerdrill vs 120 manually. Its not a homework problem, rather, a coding project.

As an example, I tried to solve using 1000 screws as the number opposed to 500. Is my answer correct?

unscrewed ~1000 screws using drill method that yields .33% effectiveness compared to manual screw driving.

In total, 2000 seconds engaged in unscrewing. making 1.7 cents each second.

This is 34$ total, (in time) that ive paid to myself. That value should be .66 less that ive gained for myself had i done it manually. That difference is "given" to a tool, [the drill] .

in doing so, I can know that ~$11.6 / $60 has been paid for - i.e. the drill has yielded ~ 1/6 of its cost in that amount of time.

however many days between this post and todays date, x 6 = estimated # of days for the drill to pay for itself.

As an example, I tried to solve using 1000 screws as the number opposed to 500. Is my answer correct?

I am struggling to understand your question.
Are you paid a fixed amount per screw (which would be 10/9 cents per screw) ?
In this case if you are fixing the amount at 1000 screws I can see you saving your time but not getting more money for the same job.
You would be getting more money per fixed amount of time spent at work, but the amount saved would depend on the time spent.

33% means 33÷100

The decimal form of 33% is simply 0.33

Do not write a percent sign after the decimal form. If you do, then you've changed the percent.

0.33% means 0.33÷100

Its decimal form is 0.0033

0.0033 is not the same as 0.33

Therefore, 33% does not mean 0.33%

Is this thread part of your other thread?

[imath]\;[/imath]

I am struggling to understand your question.
Are you paid a fixed amount per screw (which would be 10/9 cents per screw) ?
In this case if you are fixing the amount at 1000 screws I can see you saving your time but not getting more money for the same job.
You would be getting more money per fixed amount of time spent at work, but the amount saved would depend on the time spent.
Right, it is slightly confusing but hopefully I can clarify.

I am not getting payed per fixed screw. The amount im getting paid is 'hypothetical' and merely a way to track how much utility my purchase of the drill has brought me.

33% means 33÷100

The decimal form of 33% is simply 0.33

Do not write a percent sign after the decimal form. If you do, then you've changed the percent.

0.33% means 0.33÷100

Its decimal form is 0.0033

0.0033 is not the same as 0.33

Therefore, 33% does not mean 0.33%

Is this thread part of your other thread?

[imath]\;[/imath]
I see. Thank you. Sorry for the mistake. I do not see where I can edit my post.

Also, it is related but please do not combined them. That thread is clearly overly obfuscated and I will attempt to delete if need be.

Right, it is slightly confusing but hopefully I can clarify.

I am not getting payed per fixed screw. The amount im getting paid is 'hypothetical' and merely a way to track how much utility my purchase of the drill has brought me.
To get to a well defined math question you still have to decide whether this hypothetical amount is per screw or per unit of time. After that you can figure out the total amount of screws or time during which your purchase of drill will be paid off.

To get to a well defined math question you still have to decide whether this hypothetical amount is per screw or per unit of time. After that you can figure out the total amount of screws or time during which your purchase of drill will be paid off.
I see, for sake of help:

Id just use the figure 1.7 cents/second gained whilst engaged in unscrewing screws.
Ive employed my drill for 2000 seconds total, and it has a 150% increased efficiency over the manual method.
how much money have a gained by not doing the task manually?

I thought there was a way to "marry the who numbers" into one unit/equation - i.e. using a drill BOTH allows to complete faster AND per second rate increased turned into a value per screw. and then using the screw as a means of 'projecting' or simulating other similar but different tasks.

I see, for sake of help:

Id just use the figure 1.7 cents/second gained whilst engaged in unscrewing screws.
Ive employed my drill for 2000 seconds total, and it has a 150% increased efficiency over the manual method.
how much money have a gained by not doing the task manually?

I thought there was a way to "marry the who numbers" into one unit/equation - i.e. using a drill BOTH allows to complete faster AND per second rate increased turned into a value per screw. and then using the screw as a means of 'projecting' or simulating other similar but different tasks.
If you know that you gain 1.7 cents/second and use the drill for 2000 seconds can't you figure out the total gain?

I do not see where I can edit my post.
Hello Zeanah. There's a 30-minute time limit, for editing posts. (We had to implement the limit, to prevent fake members from editing spam into older posts.)

After 30 minutes, members may add a new post, to correct or acknowledge prior mistakes. For unusual situations, members may contact a moderator by private conversation and ask for edits to be made.

please do not [combine my two threads]
Understood.

?

[imath]\;[/imath]

If you know that you gain 1.7 cents/second and use the drill for 2000 seconds can't you figure out the total gain?
The problem I'm having is using that data (1.7 @ 2000 secs) to calculate the WOULD-BE price of using a 150% less efficient method. I KNOW the answer, which is 1.1 cents/sec @ 3000 secs, but I would like to arrive at the answer using the first set of data.

1.1 cents/sec for 3000 seconds - necessarily alters the cents/sec earnings of the person, over a greater time. This is for an equal outcome ~$$33-34 TOTAL. The problem boils down to figuring how many cents/seconds to decrease and by how many total seconds from the first set of data.

I think the answer to this is a little more complicated ( as whatever fraction i multiply by, that represents the "efficiency level", i.e 150%, which i think would mean 3/2) can go toward both the per/sec rate and total second in time numbers.

To me, this represents a relationship of 2 figures whose outcomes both rely on each, ( what do I call this ), and how do I go about solving for the most likely/median scenario of this (function?) (Would this relationship be considered a function, in that, as the cents/sec decreases, the total time must increase to account for the decrease. I can plug and play with whatever number will give me whatever result, but in general, I'd like to derive at least ONE working combination of the second dataset, based off of the first.

boiled down, my question still remains:

How do i apply the figure that means 150%-LESS efficiency to the current equation/calculation ( 1.7 cents/sec for 2000 secs) in order to derive the 'projected result' that is what would-be if doing the task manually. multiply by fraction, decimal, etc?? This part I forget how to go about it (both examples would be SO HELPFUL) I know it involves cross multiplying but why or how I am not sure.