SPEED DISTANCE

Saumyojit

Q1 : A man can row 7.5 km/h in still water. If in a river running at 1.5 km/h, it takes him 50 min to row to a place and back, how far off is the place?

DOUBT 1: 50 minutes total or one journey ??

Q2:
A man rows a boat at a speed of 15 mph in still water. Find the speed of the river if it takes her 4 hours 30
minutes to row a boat to a place 30 miles away and return.

DOUBT 2: 30 miles in total or each journey ?

Q1: 50 minutes to make the entire round trip, that is to go to the place, and return.

Q2: 30 miles is one way, so 60 miles for the entire trip.

Q1: 50 minutes to make the entire round trip, that is to go to the place, and return.

Q2: 30 miles is one way, so 60 miles for the entire trip.

How did u understand ... both the statements at the end of line is same?

Let's look at what Q1 says:

"it takes him 50 min to row to a place and back"

This says to me that the 50 minutes includes him rowing to the place and back again to the original location.

Now, for Q2, let's examine:

"row a boat to a place 30 miles away and return."

This implies the place is 30 miles away, and so the total distance traveled to go there and return would be double that, or 60 miles for the round trip.

Let's look at what Q1 says:

"it takes him 50 min to row to a place and back"

This says to me that the 50 minutes includes him rowing to the place and back again to the original location.

Now, for Q2, let's examine:

"row a boat to a place 30 miles away and return."

This implies the place is 30 miles away, and so the total distance traveled to go there and return would be double that, or 60 miles for the round trip.

row a boat to a place 30 miles away and return. . What if i read this line in a go ..it makes sense to me 30 miles is both away and return

To me, it is saying the place is 30 miles away. So, to go to this place (meaning you have traveled 30 miles) and return to the starting location (meaning you traveled another 30 miles) would require traveling 60 miles.

These are questions about how a native English speaker will naturally interpret the words. To some extent, you may have to let go of your own sense of the possible interpretations, and learn what the natural meaning is. Languages can be tricky that way.

When I am in doubt, I commonly try rewording it a little. I'll demonstrate.
Q1 : A man can row 7.5 km/h in still water. If in a river running at 1.5 km/h, it takes him 50 min to row to a place and back, how far off is the place?

The statement

"it takes him 50 min to row to a place and back"​

means

"if he rows to a place and back, it will take him 50 minutes"​

The time, 50 minutes, covers the entire action, and the action is "rowing there and back".

Q2:
A man rows a boat at a speed of 15 mph in still water. Find the speed of the river if it takes her 4 hours 30

The statement

"it takes her 4 hours 30 minutes to row a boat to a place 30 miles away and return"

means

"if she rows to a place 30 miles away, and then returns, the total time will be 4 hours 30 minutes"

The distance, 30 miles, is described as how far away the destination is, not to the total distance rowed. The time, 4:30, applies to the entire action, but the distance describes the place.
row a boat to a place 30 miles away and return. . What if i read this line in a go ..it makes sense to me 30 miles is both away and return
You could conceivably force the words to mean that the 30 miles describes a trip "away and return", but I don't think any English speaker would say it in that way.

If The distance, 30 miles, is described as how far away the destination is, not to the total distance rowed. HOW can The time, 4:30, applies to the entire action, ?

WHAT if it takes her 4 hours 30 minutes to row a boat to a place 30 miles away .?

If The distance, 30 miles, is described as how far away the destination is, not to the total distance rowed. HOW can The time, 4:30, applies to the entire action, ?

WHAT if it takes her 4 hours 30 minutes to row a boat to a place 30 miles away .?
But that is not what it says!

It describes the place as "a place 30 miles away", but it says that it takes 4 1/2 hours to go there and return. You can't ignore those two words.

How can you read that sentence and think it takes that long only to go one way? Can you give a reason for your opinion?

Just like u understood 30 miles means each journey so like that i thought time also should be like that .

U said that one can't ignore those two words BUT in case of distance u are doing that only !!!

@Dr Peterson reply

Just like u understood 30 miles means each journey so like that i thought time also should be like that .

U said that one can't ignore those two words BUT in case of distance u are doing that only !!!

The person who answered is clearly interpreting it just as we have, by saying, "The man rows for 5/6 of an hour total", and "The distance of each trip is 30 miles".

Your question is about English, not about the mathematics. If you don't believe what English speakers uniformly say in answer to your question, what more can I say?

Your question here,

seems to be a mere assertion that we are wrong, and does not contribute to the discussion. I'm not even sure what you are saying.

I think its because of The English i am having trouble .
I am reading it in a go thats why i think 30 miles return and away.

Q2:

50 minutes total.

60 miles in total.

These are not questions in math. They are questions in comprehending English syntax.