[Trig Integrals] Why Don't These Integrals Equate?

Thank you both of you.

What I've learned is that indefinite integrals don't need to equate when taken different approaches to integrate them but they will be only different by a constant. So in order to check that they are equal up to a constant it is best to take their difference OR differentiate them both and see that it equals zero. Thank you!

See that what equals zero? I think it's too early to be thanking me since I don't think you understand or can calculate what I suggested. In post #11 I suggested you take the difference of your two answers, which is:

[MATH]\sin^2 x - \frac {\sin^4 x}{2}+\frac{\cos^4 x} 2[/MATH]
and differentiate it and show the result is zero. You haven't done that. Show me the steps like it was a quiz.

No, but f(x) = x^(3/4) = f(x-1) = (x-1)^(3/4).

In any integral you can make the u substitution u=x-1 for example.

No, but f(x) = x^(3/4) = f(x-1) = (x-1)^(3/4).

In any integral you can make the u substitution u=x-1 for example.
Jomo I think you missed my point. I was saying that two functions were the same except for a phase shift. The question that I was answering was how can -cos^2(x) + unknown constant be equivalent to sin^2(x) + unknown constant.

And I certainly do not think it is true that x^(3/4) = (x - 1)^(3/4). Let's try that with x = 1. The equation resolves to 1 = 0.

Sorry if my post was unclear.

Jomo I think you missed my point. I was saying that two functions were the same except for a phase shift. The question that I was answering was how can -cos^2(x) + unknown constant be equivalent to sin^2(x) + unknown constant.

And I certainly do not think it is true that x^(3/4) = (x - 1)^(3/4). Let's try that with x = 1. The equation resolves to 1 = 0.

Sorry if my post was unclear.
opps, x^(3/4) = (x - 1)^(3/4) is not true.

I guess I understood your post but I am just pointing out that there does not have to be a known phase shift for this to happen. Just integrate (x+2)^2 two different ways and you'll see my point.

I suspect we are talking past each other. I was simply explaining why expressions in terms of the sine can always be expressed in terms of the cosine. Expressions in terms of the sine cannot always be expressed in a finite expression in (x - 1). I was talking about a relationship between two specific functions.

See that what equals zero? I think it's too early to be thanking me since I don't think you understand or can calculate what I suggested. In post #11 I suggested you take the difference of your two answers, which is:

[MATH]\sin^2 x - \frac {\sin^4 x}{2}+\frac{\cos^4 x} 2[/MATH]
and differentiate it and show the result is zero. You haven't done that. Show me the steps like it was a quiz.

Is f-g not the second half of my page?

I suggested you differentiate [MATH]\sin^2 x - \frac {\sin^4 x}{2}+\frac{\cos^4 x} 2[/MATH] and show the result gives [MATH]0[/MATH]. You do that by writing something like:

[MATH]f(x) = \sin^2 x - \frac {\sin^4 x}{2}+\frac{\cos^4 x} 2[/MATH]so [MATH]f'(x) = \dots[/MATH]
Differentiate it, simplify it and see that you get [MATH]0[/MATH]. I'm not your boss and you don't have to do it if you don't want to. I think it would be instructive if you would do it, and if you can't or won't, I'm just wasting time in this thread.