What is a positive negative negative

Illvoices

Can you tell me what a positive minus a negative is?

Subhotosh Khan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you tell me what a positive minus a negative is?
Please post an exact problem.

Where are you encountering such notation?

Is it something like:

3 - (-5) = ?

Otis

… a positive [number] minus a negative [number] …
Hi Illvoices. Subtracting a number is the same as "adding the opposite number".

So, if we add the opposite of a negative number, what kind of number are we adding?

😎

Harry_the_cat

a - (-b) = a + b

HallsofIvy

Elite Member
A "positive negative positive" isn't anything because those are all adjectives and you need a noun!

topsquark

A "positive negative positive" isn't anything because those are all adjectives and you need a noun!
Oh no! English grammar! This is a Math site and you are contaminating it! (Suddenly I feel so unclean...)

-Dan

Illvoices

The only one that answered my question was a cat. Hows that for offended, I think you people need to make more sense when instructing the students.

Illvoices

Oh and I was dealing with system of equation with elimination from khan academy for those crazy enough to ask.

Otis

I think you people need to make more sense when instructing the students.
I'm glad that you understood the cat's symbolism. I had posted the same, but in words.

😎

Jomo

Elite Member
The only one that answered my question was a cat. Hows that for offended, I think you people need to make more sense when instructing the students.
Maybe the students (that is you) should ask clear questions? Why couldn't you just ask what is a positive number minus a negative number? Why does the title not match your post? What was wrong with Subhotosh Khan's and Otis' response.

The point is if you do not care enough to ask a clear and thought out question then why should we answer your post?

Jomo

Elite Member
The more I look the more I see that you were given polite responses that answered your question.

Illvoices

Maybe the students (that is you) should ask clear questions? Why couldn't you just ask what is a positive number minus a negative number? Why does the title not match your post? What was wrong with Subhotosh Khan's and Otis' response.

The point is if you do not care enough to ask a clear and thought out question then why should we answer your post?
Old man go to sleep this isn't that complicated I posted the problem clearly enough in my respose.

Jomo

Elite Member
Old man go to sleep this isn't that complicated I posted the problem clearly enough in my respose.
Your response, spelled response NOT response, only talked about how rude most of us were to you. Now please go away.

Illvoices

Thank you old man Homo that was very observant of you I apologize for the later.

mmm4444bot

Super Moderator
Staff member
… spelled response NOT response …
See how easy miscommunications occur?

I hope you and Illvoices put out the minor "flame", before it becomes a "war".

🤨

mmm4444bot

Super Moderator
Staff member
… I think you people need to make more sense when instructing the students.
Fair enough, Illvoices. But not all students think alike, and we can't know when students are confused when they don't mention it.

💡 In the forum guidelines summary, we ask students to point out parts of replies they find unclear. That gives us an opportunity to explain those parts again, in greater detail or with a specific example.

Cheers

\(\;\)