What math skill(s) is being measured in this problem?

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, I posted the following problem and it was resolved with your help. I forgot to ask you one question so I know where to classigfy this type of problem.
what math skills are being tested when you get a problem like this:

''In an effort to save money on groceries, you have decided to plant your own tomatoes this year. You buy two different tomato seed varieties from the nursery and plant them in your garden, labeling them A and B. Since you hope to plant tomatoes every year, you want to keep track of which variety (A or B) grows tall enough to produce fruit more quickly.

I just need help to know which algebra skill is being tested here?
thanks,
eddy

Hi, I posted the following problem and it was resolved with your help. I forgot to ask you one question so I know where to classigfy this type of problem.

''In an effort to save money on groceries, you have decided to plant your own tomatoes this year. You buy two different tomato seed varieties from the nursery and plant them in your garden, labeling them A and B. Since you hope to plant tomatoes every year, you want to keep track of which variety (A or B) grows tall enough to produce fruit more quickly.

thanks,
eddy
I do not see a question above and neither do I see any math skill required for this non-question.

Dr Khan, this is a problem I posted December 19 last year. I got help and we solved it. How come there is no math skills involved and how come this is a non-question?. I do not understand.

thanks,
eddy
I recall helping you with this question. There were several parts to the question.

Dr Khan, this is a problem I posted December 19 last year. I got help and we solved it. How come there is no math skills involved and how come this is a non-question?. I do not understand.
Read your post again and tell me
Where is the question here? Are you expecting us to go back in time and find your old post and answer your new query?

I recall helping you with this question. There were several parts to the question.
I classify every problem according to the skill(s) it measures. Can you help me with that?. Is this type of problem taught in high school, and if it is, under what skills?

Read your post again and tell me

Where is the question here? Are you expecting us to go back in time and find your old post and answer your new query?
oh, yes, I am sorry,
this was t he question
'In an effort to save money on groceries, you have decided to plant your own tomatoes this year. You buy two different tomato seed varieties from the nursery and plant them in your garden, labeling them A and B. Since you hope to plant tomatoes every year, you want to keep track of which variety (A or B) grows tall enough to produce fruit more quickly.

a. On average, Variety A grows at a rate of 3 inches per week, and Variety B grows at a rate of 4.5 inches per week. Write two equations to model the daily rates of growth for your tomato plants.
b. Graph these two rate equations on a separate piece of paper. Describe in detail what your graph looks like. Which variable did you place along the x-axis? Along the y-axis? Why did you choose this arrangement of variables?
c. To produce fruit, Variety A needs to be 25 inches tall, and Variety B needs to be 35 inches tall. According to your graph, which variety reaches its fruit-producing height first? Explain how you chose your answer, and include an estimation of how long it takes for both varieties to produce fruit.
d. After graphing your equations, you remember that Variety B took an extra week to poke up through the soil before it grew at its normal weekly rate! Does this information change your answer about which plant produces fruit first? Why or why not? Which plant will you choose to plant next year? ''

I got help and worked it out. I want to know what skills does it measure?

BBB did most of the tutoring, and Dr Khan gave me a tip about what values to choose for x.

I classify every problem according to the skill(s) it measures. Can you help me with that?. Is this type of problem taught in high school, and if it is, under what skills?
I would say this is a middle school level question.
Linear equation, specifically y=mx+b. Graphing y=mx+b. Analyzing linear graphs and applications. System of linear equations.

I would say this is a middle school level question.
Linear equation, specifically y=mx+b. Graphing y=mx+b. Analyzing linear graphs and applications. System of linear equations.
Thank you, buddy. Just what I needed.

. I want to know what skills does it measure?
In my opinion following skills are required for solving the problem
  1. Create a model ( of height ) from the given rate.

2. Graph the growth from model - identifying dependent and independent variables.

3. Interpretation of post-facto information.
I agree with Lev that this is a advanced middle-school to junior-high-school level question. I recently judged a science-fair where this type of experiments were displayed.

In my opinion following skills are required for solving the problem
  1. Create a model ( of height ) from the given rate.

2. Graph the growth from model - identifying dependent and independent variables.

3. Interpretation of post-facto information.
I agree with Lev that this is a advanced middle-school to junior-high-school level question. I recently judged a science-fair where this type of experiments were displayed.
Thank you so much, Dr Khan.

I am going to give you a slightly different type of answer, a more general approach (although it is quite similar to that of the Khan of khans).

Part a is asking you to find a way to describe a situation or process in a mathematically usable way. This is the first step you must take if you want to develop a mathematical solution to anything. I call this step “translation. What is “mathematically usable” depends on what mathematical techniques you know. In this specific case, all you need to know is how to set up linear equations. That specific skill is being tested, but what is also being tested is the general skill of translating a problem into the language of mathematics. That more general skill, which may require real creative thought, is required in every branch of mathematics.

Part b is testing your ability to create a graph in the conventional way with respect to placement of independent and dependent variables.

Part c is asking you to interpret a mathematical model to get answers to different questions. This skill is practically useful even if you do not know how to build the model you are looking at.

Part d is asking you to do parts a and c over again with additional information and does not teach a different set of skills.

I have two points to make. One is that labeling a problem in just one category is frequently seeing just a piece of the puzzle. You could and should list this problem under “translation into mathematical language,“ “interpretation of models,” “graphing,” and “linear functions and equations.” A single problem may (and frequently will) call on multiple mathematical skills.

My other point is to encourage you to include in your thinking the ideas of translation into mathematics (writing in mathematical language) and interpreting mathematical formulas (reading mathematical language).

I am going to give you a slightly different type of answer, a more general approach (although it is quite similar to that of the Khan of khans).

Part a is asking you to find a way to describe a situation or process in a mathematically usable way. This is the first step you must take if you want to develop a mathematical solution to anything. I call this step “translation. What is “mathematically usable” depends on what mathematical techniques you know. In this specific case, all you need to know is how to set up linear equations. That specific skill is being tested, but what is also being tested is the general skill of translating a problem into the language of mathematics. That more general skill, which may require real creative thought, is required in every branch of mathematics.

Part b is testing your ability to create a graph in the conventional way with respect to placement of independent and dependent variables.

Part c is asking you to interpret a mathematical model to get answers to different questions. This skill is practically useful even if you do not know how to build the model you are looking at.

Part d is asking you to do parts a and c over again with additional information and does not teach a different set of skills.

I have two points to make. One is that labeling a problem in just one category is frequently seeing just a piece of the puzzle. You could and should list this problem under “translation into mathematical language,“ “interpretation of models,” “graphing,” and “linear functions and equations.” A single problem may (and frequently will) call on multiple mathematical skills.

My other point is to encourage you to include in your thinking the ideas of translation into mathematics (writing in mathematical language) and interpreting mathematical formulas (reading mathematical language).
nothing short of wonderful!. Thanks, Jeff!.