My Journey With Mathematics

Hi everyone. How in the world are you? I want to ask every member here for a big favor. My nephews and nieces will be going to middle school and high school this coming fall. They totally trust me to help them out occasionally with math questions.

When the math question(s) begin to come in via email, I would like to know if I can trust the members here to correct my work before I reply to them with an answer. I definitely don't want to look bad or embarrassed. Let me explain.

My family knows how much math means to me. They also know that I am always inside a textbook looking for something new to learn. They know that I am currently doing a self-study of college algebra and, as a result, they TOTALLY trust my reply in terms of mathematics.

In their mind, a person learning college algebra must know middle school and high school math well, right? Wrong. I am ok with middle school and high school math but it depends on the course. We all know this to be true.

I did not graduate from middle school in the late 70s due to bullying. My parents took out of middle school because I was daily abused by other students. In high school, I was placed in remedial courses. I graduated from high school in 1984 by the skin of my teeth, so to speak.

Can I trust and rely on the math experts here to help me this coming school year with this task? I will do my part, show my work just as I have been doing in my own self-study. Thank you. I look forward to many responses.

Feliz

Last edited:
Hi everyone. How in the world are you?...

I'm ticking along ;)

You might be overthinking things a bit. I think you should come here for your own advancement. If this means that you can then go on to help others, then that's great!

I have two children, and one of them used to ask me for homework help several times a week and the other one only ever asked me for help two or three times total during all of their years of study. (I treated them both the same, before anyone asks :ROFLMAO:). You can't easily anticipate what will happen. Don't be disappointed if it transpires that they don't come to you for maths help. All you can do is offer. It's horses for courses. If the children appreciate your help then they'll keep asking even if you make the odd mistake IMO. If they don't want your help, then maybe you can start helping others on this forum - or perhaps volunteer locally if there's some kind of scheme in your area to help out kids who can't afford tutors. Most of the helpers on this forum get things wrong, from time to time (you can see us in the corner :))

Beer induced reaction follows.
I have decided that the Michael Sullivan textbook is the right way to learn College Algebra or any other course. So, I downloaded one of his textbooks (copyright 2017) to begin using right away.
I don't think you fully understood mmm4444bot's question.
In post #1 of this "College Algebra" thread, you posted
6. Current reviewing College Algebra. I am in Chapter 1 Section 7 aka Rational Expressions. I plan to go through the entire textbook. So, please come along for the ride.

7. Obviously, I will not post EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM in the textbook. I will only post problems for which the author (Michael Sullivan) did not provide an example for or simply a problem that I find interestingly challenging.
Later at the thread "Find LCM of Polynomials...1", in post # 15, you indicated that:
"I decided not to use the textbook. Instead, I found a website that appears to be user-friendly." as mmm4444bot quoted you.
Later on at post #18, you declared upon further inquiry by Dr. Peterson about definitions that " I deleted the online free download of the college algebra textbook because I found a website that makes more sense to me than the textbook wording.

You then responded on this thread upon questioning by mmm4444bot with
I have decided that the Michael Sullivan textbook is the right way to learn College Algebra or any other course. So, I downloaded one of his textbooks (copyright 2017) to begin using right away.
So, as I understood this
1.) You were using Sullivan's textbook on College Algebra to begin with,
2.) You declared in post #15 that you decided not to use it anymore because you found a website that appears to be user friendly
3.) You "deleted the online free download of the college algebra textbook because I found a website that makes more sense to me than the textbook wording"
4.) And finally, you "decided that the Michael Sullivan textbook is the right way to learn College Algebra or any other course. So, I downloaded one of his textbooks (copyright 2017) to begin using right away." which we understand is what you've been using to begin with.

This line of reasoning somehow reminds me of one of those jokes by Letterman:
Letterman's Top Ten signs you have a lame computer virus
10. Erases hard drive, replaces it with exactly what was there before​

Man, I think I need some brandy to make sense of that.

Can I trust and rely on the math experts here to help me
In this forum, it is very rare for any math request to go unanswered.

Please be mindful that the forum is run by volunteers. Tutors reply according to their own timetables.

?

[imath]\;[/imath]

I'm ticking along ;)

You might be overthinking things a bit. I think you should come here for your own advancement. If this means that you can then go on to help others, then that's great!

I have two children, and one of them used to ask me for homework help several times a week and the other one only ever asked me for help two or three times total during all of their years of study. (I treated them both the same, before anyone asks :ROFLMAO:). You can't easily anticipate what will happen. Don't be disappointed if it transpires that they don't come to you for maths help. All you can do is offer. It's horses for courses. If the children appreciate your help then they'll keep asking even if you make the odd mistake IMO. If they don't want your help, then maybe you can start helping others on this forum - or perhaps volunteer locally if there's some kind of scheme in your area to help out kids who can't afford tutors. Most of the helpers on this forum get things wrong, from time to time (you can see us in the corner :))
1. I did not say the word homework in my OP.

2. You don't know my nephews and nieces. They ask for math help throughout the year from time to time. I want them to ask me. It's my pleasure to help them and others succeed.

3. For you to say that the helpers here "get things wrong" I assume you are saying that they provide the wrong answer in their replies. I haven't experienced that, honestly. The math helpers here are very talented individuals who are blessed to know math at such an advanced level.

4. I posted this thread to find out if I have the support of math professionals to help me if and when my nephews and nieces seek math assistance this coming school year.

5. I know middle school and high school mathematics but, like anything academic, it depends on the course. For example, I have not played with direct and indirect geometric proofs since the early 1980s. There's no way that I can help my nephews and nieces with geometric proofs should they need my assistance. Understand? This is just an example.

Feliz,
By any chance are you from the Bronx?
Steven
No, I am not from the Bronx. Why do you ask? I live in Brooklyn.

Please be mindful that the forum is run by volunteers. Tutors reply according to their own timetables.

?

[imath]\;[/imath]
I totally get it. Please, read my reply to Cubist.

I don't think you fully understood mmm4444bot's question.
In post #1 of this "College Algebra" thread, you posted

Later at the thread "Find LCM of Polynomials...1", in post # 15, you indicated that:
"I decided not to use the textbook. Instead, I found a website that appears to be user-friendly." as mmm4444bot quoted you.
Later on at post #18, you declared upon further inquiry by Dr. Peterson about definitions that " I deleted the online free download of the college algebra textbook because I found a website that makes more sense to me than the textbook wording.

You then responded on this thread upon questioning by mmm4444bot with

So, as I understood this
1.) You were using Sullivan's textbook on College Algebra to begin with,
2.) You declared in post #15 that you decided not to use it anymore because you found a website that appears to be user friendly
3.) You "deleted the online free download of the college algebra textbook because I found a website that makes more sense to me than the textbook wording"
4.) And finally, you "decided that the Michael Sullivan textbook is the right way to learn College Algebra or any other course. So, I downloaded one of his textbooks (copyright 2017) to begin using right away." which we understand is what you've been using to begin with.

This line of reasoning somehow reminds me of one of those jokes by Letterman:
Letterman's Top Ten signs you have a lame computer virus
10. Erases hard drive, replaces it with exactly what was there before​

Man, I think I need some brandy to make sense of that.
It's not all that complicated. After reading what others had to say here about learning math the right way, they convinced me that textbooks are the best way to learn the material for any course. You should have been a detective.

I envy Letterman only because Danielle Fishel had a crush on him when she was a teen girl on Boy Meets World. Why would a beautiful girl like that have a crush on a nerd like Letterman? This is harder to grasp than abstract algebra. No pun intended.

I am not that complicated, honestly. I will stick to one book and stay the course. At 57, math is more like a crossword puzzle is to a lot of people. It's a good way to kill time and learn simultaneously.

It's not all that complicated. After reading what others had to say here about learning math the right way, they convinced me that textbooks are the best way to learn the material for any course. You should have been a detective.

I envy Letterman only because Danielle Fishel had a crush on him when she was a teen girl on Boy Meets World. Why would a beautiful girl like that have a crush on a nerd like Letterman? This is harder to grasp than abstract algebra. No pun intended.

I am not that complicated, honestly. I will stick to one book and stay the course. At 57, math is more like a crossword puzzle is to a lot of people. It's a good way to kill time and learn simultaneously.
You caught me at a time when I am in a particularly good humor so I'll take everything you just posted with a grain of salt regardless of whether your attempt to "uncomplicate" things makes sense or not.

And please, next time somebody out here ask you a simple question about a definition, just post a screenshot from your book with little fanfare so as to avoid all that very complicated duck, cover, and hold/deflect/redirect maneuver you just did at

It's much easier to just tell the truth than it is to tell a bunch of fascinating web of tales. You'd have to think a thousand times about the consistency of several stories. You almost don't need to think twice to tell the truth; unless of your life depends upon humoring a despot.

?

[imath]\;[/imath]
I would like to add to @mmm4444bot's reply: you can increase your chances of getting meaningful help by following the forum's guidelines.

Sorry, I didn't intend to upset you.

1. I did not say the word homework in my OP.
I never said that you did

2. You don't know my nephews and nieces...
I never said that I know them. I was just trying to encourage you to go with the flow a bit more. From my experience it's hard to predict what people's future needs will be. If you don't agree with this advice, then that's cool. I'm certainly not always right.

3. For you to say that the helpers here "get things wrong" I assume you are saying that they provide the wrong answer in their replies. I haven't experienced that, honestly. The math helpers here are very talented individuals who are blessed to know math at such an advanced level.
I'm one of the regular helpers here. We're all human (with the possible exception of mmm4444bot ? :)) We usually give good advice, especially as a team, and we always try our best to help. Try pressing on the "Search" button and enter the word "corner" in the "keywords" field. The corner is a kind of ongoing joke on this forum between the helpers.

4. I posted this thread to find out if I have the support of math professionals to help me if and when my nephews and nieces seek math assistance this coming school year.
I understood this

5. I know middle school and high school mathematics but, like anything academic, it depends on the course. For example, I have not played with direct and indirect geometric proofs since the early 1980s. There's no way that I can help my nephews and nieces with geometric proofs should they need my assistance. Understand? This is just an example.
I fully understand and I still think that the best way for you to help them (or anyone) is for you to learn and understand these subjects for yourself. And of course you're very welcome to use this forum while you learn, and you're also welcome to use the forum while you help others (although it's usually easier to cut out the middleman so that we can help a student directly - especially if the middleman isn't willing to learn for themselves - I'm NOT saying that you're such a person before you respond angrily, I'm just stating that it's far from optimal to have a person without relevant knowledge in the middle especially if they are editing and paraphrasing the conversation)

Sorry, I didn't intend to upset you.

I never said that you did

I never said that I know them. I was just trying to encourage you to go with the flow a bit more. From my experience it's hard to predict what people's future needs will be. If you don't agree with this advice, then that's cool. I'm certainly not always right.

I'm one of the regular helpers here. We're all human (with the possible exception of mmm4444bot ? :)) We usually give good advice, especially as a team, and we always try our best to help. Try pressing on the "Search" button and enter the word "corner" in the "keywords" field. The corner is a kind of ongoing joke on this forum between the helpers.

I understood this

I fully understand and I still think that the best way for you to help them (or anyone) is for you to learn and understand these subjects for yourself. And of course you're very welcome to use this forum while you learn, and you're also welcome to use the forum while you help others (although it's usually easier to cut out the middleman so that we can help a student directly - especially if the middleman isn't willing to learn for themselves - I'm NOT saying that you're such a person before you respond angrily, I'm just stating that it's far from optimal to have a person without relevant knowledge in the middle especially if they are editing and paraphrasing the conversation)
Please, allow me to respond.

1. I am not angry. I don't easily get angry.

2. I welcome all comments to my threads.

3. At age 57, math is more like a crossword puzzle to me. I do not plan to do anything with mathematics in terms of money UNLESS I decide to go into private tutoring, which is the only thing I qualify for as a middle-aged man.

4. So, why this passion for math at 57?
Let me see.

A. I like math.
B. I am NOT very popular with females at 57 (not that I ever was back in my youth).
C. What better way to keep brain cells working?
D. What better way to keep memory ability alive and well?
E. I am a loner more than anything else. I love my alone time.

5. Is math the only way to stay busy? No. I also play hymns in the classical guitar method, which means I read music notation and TAB. I have been playing guitar since the early 1970s.

6. I joined this site to get help with my self-study.

7. What is the ultimate goal in terms of mathematics? Honestly, I saw a few calculus video lessons on YouTube and fell in love with the course. My main goal is to learn Calculus l, ll, and lll at a comfortable level. Let me make a clear distinction. When I say calculus, I mean regular calculus not advanced calculus. I also saw a video of an Advanced Calculus course and it scared me to death.

8. I am also hoping to make a friend or two just like I did when I met MarkFL and Soroban long ago in other forums.

9. Please, be patient when I don't understand a reply to my questions.

10. I hope my journey here will be educational, fun, down-to-earth, amiable and exciting. I am not here to argue and/or fight. I am here to increase my math skills on my way to Calculus.

You say?

You caught me at a time when I am in a particularly good humor so I'll take everything you just posted with a grain of salt regardless of whether your attempt to "uncomplicate" things makes sense or not.

And please, next time somebody out here ask you a simple question about a definition, just post a screenshot from your book with little fanfare so as to avoid all that very complicated duck, cover, and hold/deflect/redirect maneuver you just did at

It's much easier to just tell the truth than it is to tell a bunch of fascinating web of tales. You'd have to think a thousand times about the consistency of several stories. You almost don't need to think twice to tell the truth; unless of your life depends upon humoring a despot.
I will do my best to abide by the rules of the forum and not travel around the globe just to make a point.

Hi everyone. I know Advanced Calculus is way beyond my level of mathematics. My goal is to learn regular Calculus l, ll, and lll after my self-study of College Algebra is complete. What on earth is this course all about? Is this a graduate school level course? Is this a course for math majors only?

I found a video lesson on the topic with the following information:

Advance Calculus is all about normed linear spaces, metric spaces and inner product spaces. The course also defines open sets and limits on a NLS and explores the norm-indendence of topology in the plane.

What on earth is this also about? This is definitely beyond Calculus 3 aka Multivariable Calculus.

You say?

Last edited:
In your opinion, what is the hardest undergraduate math course? Some say abstract algebra while others say topology and still others say advanced calculus. What do you say?

All college textbooks teach that setting up.an equation is the most efficient way to solve word problems. You know the old saying, LET X BE WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR. Of course, this is easier said than done. How many students do you know who can read an SAT or GRE, or GMAT word problem they have never seen before and quickly come up with an equation leading to the right answer(s)?

Before you answer my question, remember that it is easy to say WORD PROBLEMS ARE A PIECE OF CAKE when you already know what to do. So, what is the best, most efficient, most effortless way to master the art of solving word problems at any level?

All college textbooks teach that setting up.an equation is the most efficient way to solve word problems. You know the old saying, LET X BE WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR. Of course, this is easier said than done. How many students do you know who can read an SAT or GRE, or GMAT word problem they have never seen before and quickly come up with an equation leading to the right answer(s)?

Before you answer my question, remember that it is easy to say WORD PROBLEMS ARE A PIECE OF CAKE when you already know what to do. So, what is the best, most efficient, most effortless way to master the art of solving word problems at any level?
You aren't going to like this but the answer is lots and lots of examples. The main idea is to start labeling quantities, usually with things like a, b, x, y, etc. Then the problem will give you information about how to connect those quantities.

Really, there are only so many kinds of problems that can be created in a single topic. Once you've learned your basics you try to learn to identify which kind of topic it is and you can go from there. But it isn't easy and won't generally come quickly.

-Dan

Hi everyone. I know Advanced Calculus is way beyond my level of mathematics. My goal is to learn regular Calculus l, ll, and lll after my self-study of College Algebra is complete. What on earth is this course all about? Is this a graduate school level course? Is this a course for math majors only?

I found a video lesson on the topic with the following information:

Advance Calculus is all about normed linear spaces, metric spaces and inner product spaces. The course also defines open sets and limits on a NLS and explores the norm-indendence of topology in the plane.

What on earth is this also about? This is definitely beyond Calculus 3 aka Multivariable Calculus.

You say?
I say you focus on algebra and worry about that once you get there.