My Journey With Mathematics

I say you focus on algebra and worry about that once you get there.
I have no plans to ever take advanced calculus. I just wanted to know what the heck this course is all about? When do students take this course? I assume it is a class for math majors, right?

felix,
This is a math help forum. This is not a place to socialize. You can ask math questions but 1st, according to the forum's posting guidelines, you must show us your work.
I am reporting your post to an admin.

I have no plans to ever take advanced calculus. I just wanted to know what the heck this course is all about? When do students take this course? I assume it is a class for math majors, right?
These courses are required for all science courses -beyond freshman college level.

You aren't going to like this but the answer is lots and lots of examples. The main idea is to start labeling quantities, usually with things like a, b, x, y, etc. Then the problem will give you information about how to connect those quantities.

Really, there are only so many kinds of problems that can be created in a single topic. Once you've learned your basics you try to learn to identify which kind of topic it is and you can go from there. But it isn't easy and won't generally come quickly.

-Dan
What makes you think I don't like the fact that this requires lots of practice? I like word problems. In fact, I consider solving word problems to be the most important math skill a person should have.

In 2006, I took a test at Bank One in Springfield Missouri for a Financial Advisor position. The test was open to anyone interested in switching career. Unfortunately for me, the test consisted mainly of word problems.

Most standardized exams are going to test your ability to think your way through problems. The exam is NOT going to ask applicants to solve x + 5 = 20 for x. Anyway, the Financial Advisor job could have changed my life for the better. Here is more sad news. The test proctor stated that my score was the lowest that he had ever seen working at Bank One.

felix,
This is a math help forum. This is not a place to socialize. You can ask math questions but 1st, according to the forum's posting guidelines, you must show us your work.
I am reporting your post to an admin.
1. First of all it is Feliz not Felix.
2. Reporting me for what crime?

My apology for the mis-spelling of your last name.
Crime of misusing the forum.

Beer induced non relevant ramblings follow.
... hardest ... What do you say?
Strange you should mention that word: hardest
I would say I was just thinking about my rock hard abs and forearms and how to further improve on their already impressive looks despite my age.

I posted this thread to find out if I have the support of math professionals to help me
You will have access to the forum, as long as you respect the forum policies that have been previously discussed with you and obey the warnings that you've received.

?

[imath]\;[/imath]