My Journey With Mathematics

I can't catch a break here.
You could try this: stop posting lists of your non-math thoughts. I don't think the tutors are interested in reading that stuff. Plus, when a person repeats assurances that they won't do something anymore, but they continue doing it anyway, then their word tends to lose value.

When receiving feedback about my behavior, I've learned to keep my mouth shut and pay attention. Reflecting internally upon feedback for a couple days often helps me understand outside perspectives.

?

[imath]\;[/imath]

Well, I tried. You are still breaking Forum rules in another thread so apparently my fig leaf isn't going to work. You apparently don't care that you are feeling attacked by people who are not attacking you. I guess that means you are on your own.

Please don't screw it up this time. For your own sake. Constantly getting banned and coming back under a new member name is not a solution. You are avoiding the problem, not solving it.

-Dan

You could try this: stop posting lists of your non-math thoughts. I don't think the tutors are interested in reading that stuff. Plus, when a person repeats assurances that they won't do something anymore, but they continue doing it anyway, then their word tends to lose value.

When receiving feedback about my behavior, I've learned to keep my mouth shut and pay attention. Reflecting internally upon feedback for a couple days often helps me understand outside perspectives.

?

[imath]\;[/imath]
Good ideas. I think I'll try that moving forward.

Well, I tried. You are still breaking Forum rules in another thread so apparently my fig leaf isn't going to work. You apparently don't care that you are feeling attacked by people who are not attacking you. I guess that means you are on your own.

Please don't screw it up this time. For your own sake. Constantly getting banned and coming back under a new member name is not a solution. You are avoiding the problem, not solving it.

-Dan
The problem has been solved. No more sharing personal stuff here. Sticking to math only unless my threads become an issue just the same.

The following trinomial cannot be factored. Why is this a true statement?

Y^2 + 6y + 15

The following trinomial cannot be factored. Why is this a true statement?

Y^2 + 6y + 15
It CAN be factored if we include complex domain.

The variable in your expression - is it Y or y ?

Please review your post prior to hitting the "Post reply" button.

It CAN be factored if we include complex domain.

The variable in your expression - is it Y or y ?

Please review your post prior to hitting the "Post reply" button.
Brother, this is not a complicated situation. Obviously, I meant to type y^2 not Y^2. This is a typo at my end.

You said:

"It CAN be factored if we include complex domain."

1. This thread is posted in the Beginning Algebra forum.

2 I am revisiting basic algebra.

3. Knowing 1 and 2 above, why would I post a question that requires factoring over the complex domain if I am reviewing basic algebra?

4. A friend replied by email and stated that the reason it cannot be factored at the basic algebra level is because this trinomial is prime. Let me ask you the same question I asked Steven. What is a prime trinomial?

5. Keep in mind that I am revisiting basic algebra. I am not seeking a complicated response.

Last edited:
If b^2-4ac<0, then the quadratic can't be factored over the real numbers.
6^2 - 4*1*15 = 36 -60<0, so no roots which implies not factorable.
Thanks. Someone else stated the reason it cannot be factored over the real numbers to be because it is a prime trinomial. What is a prime trinomial? Is a prime trinomial related to the idea of a prime number?

Last edited:
Brother, this is not a complicated situation. Obviously, I meant to type y^2 not Y^2. This is a typo at my end.

You said:

3. Knowing 1 and 2 above, why would I post a question that requires factoring over the complex domain if I am reviewing basic algebra?

4. A friend replied by email and stated that the reason it cannot be factored at the basic algebra level is because this trinomial is prime. Let me ask you the same question I asked Steven. What is a prime trinomial?

5. Keep in mind that I am revisiting basic algebra. I am not seeking a complicated response.
You might be surprised at how many come here that do not realize that the variables Y and y are not the same thing and also how many do not edit their threads. We are not doing our jobs if we do not make sure that you know this and to drum this fact in. Once again, he was not attacking you. Calm down!

And as we are well aware that you are working on College Algebra, it was a reasonable comment to make no matter where you put the post.

-Dan

You said:

He is not Brother. He is Subhotosh Khan. No, there is no "obvious" about what you
meant to type. You are being argumentative.

You cannot be bothered with a reply if it is a "complicated response." That is you
having entitlement, and it is wrong.

I reported your post # 4, because you wrote inconsistencies, you wanted the reader
to mind-read, you not take the blame for such, and you got hostile. You need to stop
posting with this attitude and tone.

Last edited:
He is not Brother. He is Subhotosh Khan. No, there is no "obvious" about what you
meant to type. You are being argumentative.

You cannot be bothered with a reply if it is a "complicated response." That is you
having entitlement, and it is wrong.

I reported your post # 4, because you wrote inconsistencies, you wanted the reader
to mind-read, you not take the blame for such, and you got hostile. You need to stop
posting with this attitude and tone.
There is nothing offensive about my reply to brother Kahn. The word brother is an amiable expression. Nothing seriously bad about what I said.

You might be surprised at how many come here that do not realize that the variables Y and y are not the same thing and also how many do not edit their threads. We are not doing our jobs if we do not make sure that you know this and to drum this fact in. Once again, he was not attacking you. Calm down!

And as we are well aware that you are working on College Algebra, it was a reasonable comment to make no matter where you put the post.

-Dan
1. As I have already posted, I decided to put aside college algebra and go back to intermediate algebra. I needed to do this for my own good.

2. In what way is my reply to Mr. Kahn offensive? The word brother is an amiable expression.

3. I have nothing personal against Mr. Kahn. He is a top contributor. He knows mathematics. I acknowledge his talent.

4. No matter what I say or not say, I just can't get it right, huh?

5. Let me see if there is another forum I can go to. A forum that is not overwhelmed with overly sensitive individuals. Jesus!!!!

Thanks. Someone else stated the reason it cannot be factored over the real numbers to be because it is a prime trinomial. What is a prime trinomial? Is a prime trinomial related to the idea of a prime number?
Yes, it is a prime trinomial. Trinomial because it has three terms and prime because it can't be factored.
Primes numbers are numbers that can't be 'factored' and prime trinomials are trinomials that can't be factored.

Last edited:

You said:

Just for the record:
1) It is Dr Khan or Mr Khan, not brother.
2) At some point in a basic algebra course you learn about complex numbers. Even in my post I wrote not factorable over the Real Numbers. The only reason why I did not mention complex factoring is because YOU said that it was not factorable and I went along with that. Khan's response actually needed to be there for completeness.

1. As I have already posted, I decided to put aside college algebra and go back to intermediate algebra. I needed to do this for my own good.

2. In what way is my reply to Mr. Kahn offensive? The word brother is an amiable expression.

3. I have nothing personal against Mr. Kahn. He is a top contributor. He knows mathematics. I acknowledge his talent.

4. No matter what I say or not say, I just can't get it right, huh?

5. Let me see if there is another forum I can go to. A forum that is not overwhelmed with overly sensitive individuals. Jesus!!!!
Not math related. Period! End of discussion!

I said yesterday that the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra says that ANY polynomial of degree n > 0 with real coefficients can be factored into n linear binomials. That is a very easy theorem to remember, but it comes with a qualification, namely that the linear factors may involve one or more complementary pairs of complex numbers.

If you want to exclude complex numbers, that important theorem becomes much more complex. It then reads a polynomial of degree n > 0 with real coefficients can be factored into (1) at least one linear term with real coefficients and at most (n -1)/2 distinct quadratic terms with real coefficients if n is an odd integer, or (2) at most n/2 distinct quadratic terms with real coefficients if n is an even integer.

Sometimes complex numbers make things easier. We are trying to teach math, and that means pointing out its subtleties.

Yes, it is a prime trinomial. Trinomial because it has three terms and prime because it can't be factored.
Primes numbers are numbers that can't be 'factored' and prime trinomials are trinomials that can't be factored.
Your reply hits the nail on the head. Cool.