My Journey With Mathematics

Yes, efficiency is an issue. But you seem more concerned about efficiency than you are full coverage. MATH FOR DUMMIES is easy to read and understand but what doesn't it cover? Just about all of the steps used to develop the material that they do cover. If you simply want to learn a few things then that's fine. But if you want to learn Mathematics you need the full package.

I am not suggesting you go out and buy a full out high level Math textbook that starts with the basic axioms and proceeds to slowly and ponderously derive algebra. That approach probably isn't for you. You seem to want to learn how to solve some types of interesting problems. And that's okay. But if you want to learn how to solve something you haven't seen before then you need to get that textbook and spend some serious time with it. There is no substitute. That's what I'm saying. (And really, that goes for any subject, from Mathematics to clay modeling. You need to spend the time to learn the basics if you want to learn how to do it right.)

-Dan
I started taking notes watching Leonard's Intermediate Algebra lessons. This is easier than College Algebra. This video course is like taking Algebra 2. It's a good place to start on my way to Calculus 1.

So students who are deficient in math should not be helped?
Can we please start this test with you?
Text me a reasonable high school math test. The more the better. Help anyone you wish to help. This thread is just my opinion. You can agree or trash my words. The choice is yours. Good evening. Going to work now.

I have not lost interest. I welcome respectful comments from all members.
This is going to be touchy but I have to ask. I am honestly curious and I don't want you to take this as a personal attack.... it is not intended as such.

I have never disrespected you. I have not agreed with several of your comments in the past and, frankly, I do not like you. I have even had to ban you. But I have always treated you with the level of respect that you have shown you deserve. There are a couple of members here who are disrespecting you (I'm not going to look up the posts to see why or if they are justified, I'm just going to mention for this purpose that I agree that they are) but it does seem that if someone has an issue with what you post you react emotionally. Almost always.

Someone said here (and I have told you in the past) that you seem to be looking for something more than just a Math site but that you are also looking for something like a social site. We are not that. So if we tell you that you are wrong, that you are breaking the Forum rules, or that we no longer wish to read about your personal woes this is not intended as an insult or an attack. We are simply telling you that you are wrong, that you are breaking the Forum rules, and that that's not what this site is for. It's nothing personal.

For example, Subhotosh Khan is one of the best Mods that I have run into but you seem to have a problem with him. I just don't understand what he's doing or saying that is giving you such a problem. How, exactly, do we tell you that you are wrong about something in a way that you won't find to be offensive in some manner? I would really like to know because I know that you are real about wanting to learn and even though I personally don't like you I still want to help you learn, and this can't be done if you feel you are constantly being attacked.

-Dan

I started taking notes watching Leonard's Intermediate Algebra lessons. This is easier than College Algebra. This video course is like taking Algebra 2. It's a good place to start on my way to Calculus 1.
Why do you want to impart these information to us?

This is going to be touchy but I have to ask. I am honestly curious and I don't want you to take this as a personal attack.... it is not intended as such.

I have never disrespected you. I have not agreed with several of your comments in the past and, frankly, I do not like you. I have even had to ban you. But I have always treated you with the level of respect that you have shown you deserve. There are a couple of members here who are disrespecting you (I'm not going to look up the posts to see why or if they are justified, I'm just going to mention for this purpose that I agree that they are) but it does seem that if someone has an issue with what you post you react emotionally. Almost always.

Someone said here (and I have told you in the past) that you seem to be looking for something more than just a Math site but that you are also looking for something like a social site. We are not that. So if we tell you that you are wrong, that you are breaking the Forum rules, or that we no longer wish to read about your personal woes this is not intended as an insult or an attack. We are simply telling you that you are wrong, that you are breaking the Forum rules, and that that's not what this site is for. It's nothing personal.

For example, Subhotosh Khan is one of the best Mods that I have run into but you seem to have a problem with him. I just don't understand what he's doing or saying that is giving you such a problem. How, exactly, do we tell you that you are wrong about something in a way that you won't find to be offensive in some manner? I would really like to know because I know that you are real about wanting to learn and even though I personally don't like you I still want to help you learn, and this can't be done if you feel you are constantly being attacked.

-Dan
1. I welcome constructive criticism.

2. Thank you for your honesty. You don't like me. I get it.

3. I have nothing against Khan. I am sure he is a great contributor to the site.

4. I am not upset. No reason to be angry.

5. I am not looking for something more than help with math. If I make a friend, terrific. If not, it's ok.

Can we get back to math, please?

Why share this stuff? The question should be WHY NOT? I am simply letting the forum know that I love math enough to sit down to watch video lessons for the purpose of learning and bettering myself. What is the big crime, sir?

Why share this stuff? The question should be WHY NOT? I am simply letting the forum know that I love math enough to sit down to watch video lessons for the purpose of learning and bettering myself. What is the big crime, sir?
Time is a limited resource. By spending time reading your love confessions, you're taking time away our time from others who actually need help. That is your crime. If you're truly here to learn, do it rather than just keep talking about it.

For your self-reflection, you've made 96 messages since you "joined" the forum. Count/estimate how many of those are related to an actual math problem. No response is needed.

1. I welcome constructive criticism.

2. Thank you for your honesty. You don't like me. I get it.

3. I have nothing against Khan. I am sure he is a great contributor to the site.

4. I am not upset. No reason to be angry.

5. I am not looking for something more than help with math. If I make a friend, terrific. If not, it's ok.

Can we get back to math, please?
This isn't about Math, it's about how you expect us to respond to you in an appropriate manner.

This response is one of the ones that makes me wonder.
Subhotosh Khan said:
This was in the "Best Way to Solve Word Problems" thread. You made a post that was, frankly, irrelevant. You said you were starting to work on Prof. Leonard's course videos. Subhotosh Khan asked why you posted this and your response was, well, emotional. We are here as a site to help you with your Math questions, not to hear the details of your personal journey. Presumably you have been looking at the Forum rules so you should know already that this is an extraneous comment. Yet you came across like he was attacking you. This is the kind of thing I am asking about. How do you think that he should he have asked the question?

-Dan

This isn't about Math, it's about how you expect us to respond to you in an appropriate manner.

This response is one of the ones that makes me wonder.

This was in the "Best Way to Solve Word Problems" thread. You made a post that was, frankly, irrelevant. You said you were starting to work on Prof. Leonard's course videos. Subhotosh Khan asked why you posted this and your response was, well, emotional. We are here as a site to help you with your Math questions, not to hear the details of your personal journey. Presumably you have been looking at the Forum rules so you should know already that this is an extraneous comment. Yet you came across like he was attacking you. This is the kind of thing I am asking about. How do you think that he should he have asked the question?

-Dan
I get it. No personal stuff. Nobody cares. It's a math site. I get it. Khan will reply as he sees fit.

Beer induced catatonia follows.
Text me a reasonable high school math test. The more the better. Help anyone you wish to help. This thread is just my opinion. You can agree or trash my words. The choice is yours. Good evening. Going to work now.
You got this ...

Beer induced ramblings follow.
You COULD make some side money by starting your very own Only Fans site where you could regale willing people to listen to your "love confessions" related to your long 14 or is it now 16 year math quest that needs to get restarted every time you meet some minor solving issues. You can talk about your plans for learning calculus 1, 2, and 3 just as soon as you're done with your unending precalculus or algebra review from your favorite book or in this case, your new favorite free math youtube professor.

I get it. No personal stuff. Nobody cares. It's a math site. I get it. Khan will reply as he sees fit.
You apparently don't get it. I'm not telling you not to post personal information. (Well, I am, but that's not what I'm doing here.) I'm asking how you expect us to communicate with you? You keep saying that you want "constructive criticism" but we give you that and you get upset. If you keep putting me off like this then I'll stop but then we haven't got anywhere. Without proper and respectful communication you will just keep going in the circle you have been in. Making posts, getting a few answers, breaking a bunch of rules, and getting banned. How does that help you? Now, I'm not saying we are going to change everything to accommodate you, but if there is something I can do to make this easier for you then I would like to do it! Help me here.

-Dan

not ok for me to quote lyrics of my favorite songs
Quoting song lyrics is not the issue. You had quoted religious prose, after repeatedly being warned to stop, and that all happened at a different math forum.

I was banned for quoting lyrics of songs by Steve Green, Keith Green, Greater Vision, etc.
You were not banned from this forum for quoting song lyrics. You were banned here for bad behavior (twice, so far).

You have been banned from a number of math forums, and the bans have always been for the same behavioral reasons: You are unable or unwilling to accept constructive criticism and and you are unable or unwilling to heed repeated warnings (often responding with argumentativeness, sarcasm, nonsense, flippancy, abandonment or other troll-like behavior).

You just don't get it. Regardless, if it doesn't stop, then you will be banned again. :(

[imath]\;[/imath]

After being attacked and threatened to be kicked out of the site yet again, I decided to stay here but only post when truly necessary. Read the big 5 below.

1. Forget the textbook. I will not post textbook problems here again.

2. I will watch Professor Leonard video lessons. Lessons are recorded in the classroom, for the most part, and at the level of students.

3. If I get stuck with something Leonard said on YouTube, I will certainly ask for help here UNLESS I have been kicked out.

4. I must have been crazy to think that going through an entire textbook was going to increase my math skills. I am not going to waste precious time on my days off doing that at all.

5. I will watch Professor Leonard, take notes and then work out the same problems he does in the classroom on my own. Working out the same problems and checking the answer will encourage me not to depend so much on math forums UNLESS I really get stuck.

Over and out!!
These "notes" are good to write in your diary - no need to "trumpet" those around in this Math Forum.

I can't catch a break here. Attacks coming my way from all angles. Now I know how Trump feels.